FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Just saying hello from Coral Gables. Happy to see so many others here from Miami-Dade. First timer with two chicks for now. How well do chickens do during our heavy rains and storms. We have a good rain proof shelter, but are there any health issues or suggestions to keep the mosquito's down in the coop? Thanks!

They'll eat the mosquitoes!! Heavy rains- mine sometimes eat right through it, some semi-hide, some hit the coop. Your first big rain will show you your coop failures- it's always a work in progress. Drainage, ability to get out of high winds, ventilation, etc....the bigger they are, the more sense they seem to have....

Just saying hello from Coral Gables. Happy to see so many others here from Miami-Dade. First timer with two chicks for now. How well do chickens do during our heavy rains and storms. We have a good rain proof shelter, but are there any health issues or suggestions to keep the mosquito's down in the coop? Thanks!

my chickens go out in the rain by choice.. it seems crazy but they do it..

Mine don't seem to mind rain either. But they do have a run area that is high and dry to escape if they want. Also their coop has great ventilation and atays dry. My husband actually built attic ventilation into the coop with wire soffit to keep critters from moving in. I bring them inside during big storms like hurricanes and tropical storms. They have a rabbit cage as a travel cage. the 5 are content for a few hours. I just move them into a darker corner and they go to sleep for the storm this way it is less stress on them. I do this with my parrots to. I lost a bird mental a few years ago due to a hurricane. It just pushed him over the edge. So since then I prefer my animals to sleep the storm away so they won't stress over it.

Mine don't seem to mind rain either. But they do have a run area that is high and dry to escape if they want. Also their coop has great ventilation and atays dry. My husband actually built attic ventilation into the coop with wire soffit to keep critters from moving in. I bring them inside during big storms like hurricanes and tropical storms. They have a rabbit cage as a travel cage. the 5 are content for a few hours. I just move them into a darker corner and they go to sleep for the storm this way it is less stress on them. I do this with my parrots to. I lost a bird mental a few years ago due to a hurricane. It just pushed him over the edge. So since then I prefer my animals to sleep the storm away so they won't stress over it.

i don't know what i am going to do if w have a major storm i have about 75 birds and 4 coops.. :(...

So I was having a discussion yesterday....what the heck do we do with the chickens if a hurricane hits? We live on a barrier island and have to evacuate if it hits, and if one does, the birds would be toast. Are there shelters for livestock?

I live in MD, and we have been through a few Hurricanes. One time we put all the birds in our house (in bathrooms). The ones on the first floor drowned. :( The last time (Irene), we took them with us to a pet-friendly hotel (snuck them in). Is there a pet-friendly hotel on the mainland you can bring them to?

Back
Top Bottom