FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

so glad you had good success with the millet. It is a favorite here too. I am getting ready to seed graizing space for the geese with it and will fence it off until mid to late July. We fenced a spot ast year and grew it over knee high and let it goto seed. The goats loved that space.

Had a question for all the North Florida peeps.The feed stores around my area have slowly run out of chicks and don't plan on ordering anymore.If I was to want some late season chicks who do you think is the best hatchery to order from that is reasonable in cost of chicks and in shipping costs?All suggestions are welcome!

you have so many local people who breed and have chicks that you should buy local aand skip the poor examples of breeds the hatcheries push and support someone working the breeds to keep them healthy and true to type (this is just my oppinion)

you have so many local people who breed and have chicks that you should buy local aand skip the poor examples of breeds the hatcheries push and support someone working the breeds to keep them healthy and true to type (this is just my oppinion)
Well,I would love to check them out but have absolutely no idea who breeds what or where they are located around here.Anybody got a handy list ready with names and numbers?
smile.png

Well,I would love to check them out but have absolutely no idea who breeds what or where they are located around here.Anybody got a handy list ready with names and numbers?
smile.png
Just post what you are looking for and I am sure someone will answer either having chicks or know of someone that has chicks. The PO will not ship when the temp is over 85 so if you did want chicks from a hatchery,it would have to be in the fall some time

Quote: you say around "here" but here is a large place when talking FL.

CMOM
KraftyLadies
Brookhavens

Just to name three all have wonderful breeding stock of various breeds.Location and breed wanted will help locate those with them.

Our farm has 4 breeds of duck, 3 breeds of geese and various LF and bantam chicken but we arent in Northern FL.

Had a question for all the North Florida peeps.The feed stores around my area have slowly run out of chicks and don't plan on ordering anymore.If I was to want some late season chicks who do you think is the best hatchery to order from that is reasonable in cost of chicks and in shipping costs?All suggestions are welcome!

You won't find them in the feed stores in June. Hatcheries will sell in large bunches, so find someone to order with. However, some hatchery birds are a crap shoot. I'd look here or make a drive to one of the MANY WONDERFUL Florida breeders. What kind are you looking for? I've got lots of people in the Daytona area and come up your way 3 times a week- could bring them to you. I'm thinking of driving to Bell, FL to get some more birds soon. Craigslist has had some surprisingly nice birds and breeders. (some funky stuff, too!)

You won't find them in the feed stores in June. Hatcheries will sell in large bunches, so find someone to order with. However, some hatchery birds are a crap shoot. I'd look here or make a drive to one of the MANY WONDERFUL Florida breeders. What kind are you looking for? I've got lots of people in the Daytona area and come up your way 3 times a week- could bring them to you. I'm thinking of driving to Bell, FL to get some more birds soon. Craigslist has had some surprisingly nice birds and breeders. (some funky stuff, too!)
Well I'm not looking for myself right now(even though I would love to have a silver or gold laced wyndotte) I'm looking for my Dad.Hes putting the finishing touches on a coop hes been building and I was trying to see where I could find some birds for him.I still ahve 2 accidental roosters I am going to have to rehome after buying them from the "sexed" pullet bin.

Quote: I'm strictlty talking North florida from gainesville up and across from Jax to tallahassee area as most of those areas are easily accessible to me or my dad who is located in leon county.Not sure what exactly he is looking for yet,Although he did say he wanted some blue egg layers and he loved the looks of the wyndottes and barred rocks.He used to own seabrights so I'm sure he likes those too. I'm thinking he just wants a nice mixed flock and I know he wants them all around the same age so he doesn't have integration issues.

Back
Top Bottom