FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi! Saying hi from Sarasota! New to the whole chicken thing, but loving it so far. Don't have any layers yet, all under three months, but getting there! I can hardly wait!
Welcome! It seemed like FOREVER before my chickens started to lay. And I took pics of the first eggs and put them up on this thread and texted them to my friends and family. Tasting those first few eggs is wonderful too.

Just saying hello from Coral Gables. Happy to see so many others here from Miami-Dade. First timer with two chicks for now. How well do chickens do during our heavy rains and storms. We have a good rain proof shelter, but are there any health issues or suggestions to keep the mosquito's down in the coop? Thanks!

my chickens go out in the rain by choice.. it seems crazy but they do it..

My birds like the rain. On hot summer days I run sprinklers in their yards.

My three may wander out a bit, but mainly they go under cover to wait out the rain. Half of their area is tarped over. This weekend I am picking up plywood to make a proper roof, as the tarp serves as an out door bathtub after the rain! I thought I could pull it taut and prevent that...lesson learned...i have to get under it and push it up to empty it after every rain.:rolleyes:

Wow, that is cool! The Titusville area county commissioner is mine, too... When the county was considering chickens he was the jerk who put the low limit in place. He was like the MI commissioner who was more worried about the possible impact to property values of the few rich folks, over the many people who wanted chickens. The T-ville guy was citing how it would impact T-ville subdivisions and the feel of the town and now T-ville is allowing the chickens! Ha ha ha!:lol:

Quote:
My birds like the rain. On hot summer days I run sprinklers in their yards.

My three may wander out a bit, but mainly they go under cover to wait out the rain. Half of their area is tarped over. This weekend I am picking up plywood to make a proper roof, as the tarp serves as an out door bathtub after the rain! I thought I could pull it taut and prevent that...lesson learned...i have to get under it and push it up to empty it after every rain.
roll.png

Remember that over time after many soakings the wood will rot. We just bought some tin roofing and put it over the wood shade tables we made for our birds. The wood was starting to rot. Now the rain won't get at the wood. We have these shade tables in every pen. This is the chick (juvenile) coop. (This springs hatch).

A friend of ours hatched some eggs for a school project, and they have 12 2-week-old chicks if anyone is interested! Free to a good home...she's not sure of the breed as she just purchased a dozen eggs from a farm marketed for consumption. They're on vacation now but they should be available next week!

A friend of ours hatched some eggs for a school project, and they have 12 2-week-old chicks if anyone is interested! Free to a good home...she's not sure of the breed as she just purchased a dozen eggs from a farm marketed for consumption. They're on vacation now but they should be available next week!
I will love them where are them if not too far

Back
Top Bottom