FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi everyone.... looking for some help. I have 8 14wk old birds in my grow pen, they were suppose to be pullets. It looks like I have 4 maybe 5 cockerels in there. In my chicken house I have 10 hens and 1 EE roo (23wks). My question is can I put the new cockerels in with the existing flock or should I keep them separated. The batch of eight are 5 production RIR and 3 production BR. I think 1 rock and 3 RIR are cockerels. I am planning on putting the hens in when they are a little bigger, but not sure what to do about the boys. If I let the boy free range and only put them in at night, would that be ok?
There is less of a problem when the boys are younger as as they grow older and more mature, they will fight more competing for the girls.

Those are some nice looking birds
thumbsup.gif

Hi everyone.... looking for some help.  I have 8 14wk old birds in my grow pen, they were suppose to be pullets.  It looks like I have 4 maybe 5 cockerels in there.  In my chicken house I have 10 hens and 1 EE roo (23wks).  My question is can I put the new cockerels in with the existing flock or should I keep them separated.  The batch of eight are 5 production RIR and 3 production BR.  I think 1 rock and 3 RIR are cockerels.  I am planning on putting the hens in when they are a little bigger, but not sure what to do about the boys.  If I let the boy free range and only put them in at night, would that be ok?   

I think your bigger issue is that the EE roo that is already in the hen house would try to kill them. They are young roos coming into his environment and he will defend his hens...

Since there are only three, you can very easily build a quickie home for them to sleep in at night. all you need is four eight foot 2x4 and four pieces of 3/4 inch PVC , some hardware, some wire and a tarp. The boys dont need luxury living quarters. You could definitely throw one together in a day.

BUT.. when I let my boys free range they don't go home at night like the hens do, they make a camp outside the hen house and incessantly try to get in.. I guess boys will be boys..

there is no doubt keeping roosters is a logistical challenge, I am currently in the planning stages of a 5 apartment rooster condo. (well more like a row home actually). I am hoping to work with some of them to get them to live together in several groups. but if not then they will have to get their own pen. It would be, black copper marans, blue copper marans, wheaten marans, black tailed buff marans, blue wheaten ameraucana, lavender Orps and then possibly a leghorn, but not totally sure on the leghorn,

oh yes, I forgot the legbars... maybe a 5 apartmen won't be enough !!

Last edited:
I think your bigger issue is that the EE roo that is already in the hen house would try to kill them. They are young roos coming into his environment and he will defend his hens...

Since there are only three, you can very easily build a quickie home for them to sleep in at night. all you need is four eight foot 2x4 and four pieces of 3/4 inch PVC , some hardware, some wire and a tarp. The boys dont need luxury living quarters. You could definitely throw one together in a day.

BUT.. when I let my boys free range they don't go home at night like the hens do, they make a camp outside the hen house and incessantly try to get in.. I guess boys will be boys..

there is no doubt keeping roosters is a logistical challenge, I am currently in the planning stages of a 5 apartment rooster condo. (well more like a row home actually). I am hoping to work with some of them to get them to live together in several groups. but if not then they will have to get their own pen. It would be, black copper marans, blue copper marans, wheaten marans, black tailed buff marans, blue wheaten ameraucana, lavender Orps and then possibly a leghorn, but not totally sure on the leghorn,

oh yes, I forgot the legbars... maybe a 5 apartmen won't be enough !!

Thank you for the information and a agree you will need more than 5 apartments for all those boys :) My EE roo is such a push over right now. I have 5 older hens about 32 wks and he runs like a sissy from them. He is just starting to show rooster behavior, crowing more and now that I give him time alone with his EE girls he is starting to do the wing dance. I wish he would step up and put the other hens in there place... they are so mean to my EE's. If we don't get anymore chickens (yea right lol) then the other boys can have the grow pen. It is big enough for 8 mature birds, so they should be happy with that.

Thank you again and good luck with your apartments
smile.png

Just a reminder of this swap coming up this Saturday September 28th. It is posted on Craigslist, Ocala4Sale, Citrus Chronicle, Riverland News, 95.3 and 96.7FM radio and on the marquee at the Crystal River Mall. We should have a very good turnout from all the responses we have received.

Crystal River Mall monthly Farm Swap Meet
4th Saturday Monthly (Next swap Saturday November 16th)
9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428
---> MAP

Last edited:
Wish I had a car and lived a bit closer, I would love to volunteer at a place like that. I'm waiting for the black sapote to be ripe, I heard it tastes nice!
next time you go down south go to "Robert is here" they have absolutely awesome shakes in almost any kind of tropical fruit flavor you can
think of. Have to say that I always get the Mango, but i bet they have black sapote.. I reccommend the Mamey too :)!!

my air layers are going to be a bit experimental but you are welcome to have one if you like.. i'm sure it will grow in a pot even if you don't have a yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom