FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Jes. You did what was best for Clay, sorry for your loss. Math Ace is selling cockerals: Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorn and Delawares. I can verify her birds are healthy and coops/pens are cleaned on a daily basis. She lives in Bryceville. Feel free to PM her if your interested.
Thanks I do appreciate it. (I just PM'd you..I had started it earlier and got called away before I could finish)

I am so grateful for this site and everyone's advice. I think that sometimes even having someone, who knows/has chickens to bounce ideas or frustrations or whatever helps...

marmca, I did find a vet, Dr. Hart, at Hidden Hills Animal Hospital. He was very optimistic about the potential to save his beak, but also realistic in letting me know that it may not be possible. (He did say that beaks do grow back if there is enough to grow back etc.) He was having surgery at 2 to debride and fix what could be fixed, but it was worse then he hoped it would be (his jaw was split and virtually no beak left to really salvage). We opted to put him down since he would have no quality of life. Sad, but I expected as much when I brought him there...on a positive note, his assistant said that she has chickens and has a Roo that looks just like our "Clay" if we were interested. So I asked my son, whose buddy "Clay" was, and he really liked the idea. So, we may have a new Protector for our girls...
big_smile.png

Thanks for asking about him and congrats on your hatch! I know this weather is just crazy! It is supposed to warm up again this weekend, I believe. I am not a fan of the cold...worse when it's so up and down like it has been. lol What part of FL are you in? Are you up north here near Jax?

So sorry Clay did not make it, better than suffering. Hoping your son can bond with Clay clone and be a happy as ever.
I live about an hour out of Jax in Gainesville.
Still TOO COLD(!!!)
hide.gif

somad.gif
love.gif
Sending warm thoughts too everyone to help get through this nite.
love.gif
somad.gif

Last edited:
If anyone is looking... I do have several cockerels in the 5 to 6 month age.
They are Buff Leghorns, Delawares, and Speckled Sussex.

I fowl pox vaccinate all my birds. It is the only vaccine I give.

My flocks are closed flocks. I am working with stock from well known breeders, not hatcheries.

I don't constantly hatch chicks,
I do several hatches in the Spring and then grow out the chicks, culling as I go.
The best ones stay and become part of my breeding program.
The rest I try to find homes for.

My birds are given large areas to roam every day and interact with people on a daily basis.
I don't raise or sell birds with nasty attitudes. . . . .

So, if you are in need of a cockerel send me a PM.
I am in the Jacksonville area....
I will be in the Lake City area SATURDAY 1/11/14 for the Lake City Sunshine Classic Poultry Show :)
I can and will bring a bird to the show if prior arrangements are made.

Last edited:
Thanks I do appreciate it. (I just PM'd you..I had started it earlier and got called away before I could finish)

I am so grateful for this site and everyone's advice. I think that sometimes even having someone, who knows/has chickens to bounce ideas or frustrations or whatever helps...

So sorry about Clay (my brothers name, lol)

I'm curious, what was the bill for the examination and putting him down? (if it's not bad etiquette to ask)

marmca, I did find a vet, Dr. Hart, at Hidden Hills Animal Hospital. He was very optimistic about the potential to save his beak, but also realistic in letting me know that it may not be possible. (He did say that beaks do grow back if there is enough to grow back etc.) He was having surgery at 2 to debride and fix what could be fixed, but it was worse then he hoped it would be (his jaw was split and virtually no beak left to really salvage). We opted to put him down since he would have no quality of life. Sad, but I expected as much when I brought him there...on a positive note, his assistant said that she has chickens and has a Roo that looks just like our "Clay" if we were interested. So I asked my son, whose buddy "Clay" was, and he really liked the idea. So, we may have a new Protector for our girls...
big_smile.png

Thanks for asking about him and congrats on your hatch! I know this weather is just crazy! It is supposed to warm up again this weekend, I believe. I am not a fan of the cold...worse when it's so up and down like it has been. lol What part of FL are you in? Are you up north here near Jax?
Sorry about your situation,
sad.png
but thanks for posting the details and progress. Good to know where a chicken vet could be found in a pinch, but I should probably look for one in St. Johns area in case I have a need one day.
My little flock weathered the cold well with some extra hay and a tarp over the exposed chicken wire area of my a-frame coop. I still put them to pasture during the day and they roamed around, drank out of the pool and did their normal daily chicken routine despite the cold. I have noticed since this is the second time we have put up the tarp for a few days, that they don't lay eggs well with the tarp up. I assume it would be that the tarp keeps the sunlight out of the coop and the shortened sunlight hours has that effect even in that short time. Will see how quickly they bounce back since I will remove the tarp today. Temps predicted to be back up to 80 degrees by Saturday!
cool.png

So sorry about Clay (my brothers name, lol)

I'm curious, what was the bill for the examination and putting him down? (if it's not bad etiquette to ask)

Thanks Banagarang64..I don't have a problem sharing.The whole bill came to $92 (50 was for a new patient visit, 40 for euthanasia, and 3 for biohazard fee). The vet didn't charge for exploring to see what could be fixed so it was less then I was planning. (If it was going to be a really expensive surgery I wouldn't have been able to do it but he told me up front what I was looking at as far as cost for fixing him up so I could make an informed decision..I know that surgeries can get quite expensive) I previously had no idea what something like that would cost for a chicken...

Sorry about your situation,
sad.png
but thanks for posting the details and progress. Good to know where a chicken vet could be found in a pinch, but I should probably look for one in St. Johns area in case I have a need one day.
My little flock weathered the cold well with some extra hay and a tarp over the exposed chicken wire area of my a-frame coop. I still put them to pasture during the day and they roamed around, drank out of the pool and did their normal daily chicken routine despite the cold. I have noticed since this is the second time we have put up the tarp for a few days, that they don't lay eggs well with the tarp up. I assume it would be that the tarp keeps the sunlight out of the coop and the shortened sunlight hours has that effect even in that short time. Will see how quickly they bounce back since I will remove the tarp today. Temps predicted to be back up to 80 degrees by Saturday!
cool.png
Thanks kwol...yeah I spent a good portion of the day looking for vets that would see chickens. This particular vet was only there on certain days and the appts fill up fast so I was lucky to get him when I did. Knowing it was probably going to be a lost cause I needed a vet that wasn't going to cost a ton (one of the places was going to be $80 just to look at him.
We have been getting sporadic egg laying also but I don't know if its because of the change in weather or the attack or a combination. I did find what looked like the remnants of a broken egg so I hope I don't have an egg eater...I try to get those eggs asap, but I work part-time so there are some days I can't collect til the evening

Have decided to check out the Sunshine State Poultry Show in Lake City on Saturday! Hope we have some dry weather. At least it will be warmed up! Coming with me will be a friend who is looking to replace quite a few of her laying flock....darn fox came during the DAYLIGHT hours and killed 17 of her hens. She is probably looking for peeps....but possibly could replace with some larger girls.

I am bringing a 15 week old Black Copper Maran cockeral to sell or trade. I will be looking for a few pullets, cream legbars and some olive eggers which have been bred for darker eggs. If anyone has any of these, please let me know and we can deal directly at the show!
I am looking forward to meeting you all. Please let me know where you are and I'll look you up!

Marla

Have decided to check out the Sunshine State Poultry Show in Lake City on Saturday!  Hope we have some dry weather.  At least it will be warmed up!  Coming with me will be a friend who is looking to replace quite a few of her laying flock....darn fox came during the DAYLIGHT hours and killed 17 of her hens.  She is probably looking for peeps....but possibly could replace with some larger girls.

I am bringing a 15 week old Black Copper Maran cockeral to sell or trade.  I will be looking for a few pullets, cream legbars and some olive eggers which have been bred for darker eggs.  If anyone has any of these, please let me know and we can deal directly at the show!
I am looking forward to meeting you all.  Please let me know where you are and I'll look you up!

Marla

What's the address please

big_smile.png
Hi, Everybody
big_smile.png

I'm new to BYC, but have been enjoying the site since last summer. I finally got the nerve up to join. Is there anybody here up north in the Florida Panhandle? I'm about 10 minutes north of Destin. Hoping to get advice on good local feed stores and chicken sellers. Have a wonderful weekend!

Back
Top Bottom