FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have a bully hen. Attacks one of my other hens and nearly tears her comb off. Horrible! Any suggestions other than the stew pot?
When I was integrating my pullets with the rest of my flock, had two hens that were bullies. I caught one hen really wailing away on one of the pullets. I thought my bully was going to kill the pullet the way she was on top of her wailing away at her. Originally I did take the bullies out of the flock for about a week. When I did put them back with the flock one was ok but the other was still being a real bully so I took her back out and put her back in jail for another week then let her back in with the flock and she started in again. She was so intent on beating up a pullet that she didn't know I was there. I had a hose in my hand and gave her a good squirt with the hose. She wasn't expecting it as she was really into beating up the pullet. Boy did she ever jump off when she got hit with the water. She ran into the coop and didn't come back out for a long time. I caught her a few more times and always had the hose handy and squirted her when she was being aggressive. She eventually quit bullying. That is when I used the hose and caught her off guard. I guess she eventually knew if she kept it up she would get squirted. She would block the pop door and keep the pullets out so they couldn't get to the feed. I put a second pop door in the coop and another feeder out in their run. She couldn't guard both pop doors and feeders.
Also I re-introduced them in the yard so the ones being picked on could run away. Also I spread out plenty of treats so the treats would hopefully be a distraction. Usually there is an alpha who starts things. Once the alpha starts the others will join in. If you can find out which one is the alpha try taking her out for a few days.

Hi all I just wanted to introduce myself into the website. I live in Starke and have quite a collection of birds. The frenzy is just impossible to stop lol. I Have Lots and Lots of Chickens, Ducks, Quail, Turkeys, and Guineas as well. Its so nice to hear that there are other members on the site that are so close to me. Hope I get to meet some of you one day.

Dave from Milton, Florida (Panhandle) Checking in. How y'all doin'???

Hey everyone, I am in HIgh Springs and believe I have gotten some birds from some of you before. I am just coming off of a hiatus and am looking for some birds for sale or possible trade. I haven't been on this forum in awhile either! I recognize some of you but a lot are unfamiliar. But I just I just got 2 Ameracana pullets and 2 GSL pullets(Trisha, I think I accidentally told you RiRs by mistake. Sorry!) but what I really want is a few grown birds, breeds not important. I'll even take mutts. My number I can be reached at is 352-872-4365. If you can help me out in restocking my flock, I'll forever be on ur debt! I'm ready to buy, trade or adopt unwanted birds again so any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Mark

welcome-byc.gif
great to see so many newbies today!

@cmom
thanks for the advice! I only have 3 hens. Only one bully. I'll try the water torture treatment. It all happens so fast. I'll have to be a quick draw with the spray nozzle. Looking on Craig's list now for a crate to put Maude in time out.

@cmom
thanks for the advice! I only have 3 hens. Only one bully. I'll try the water torture treatment. It all happens so fast. I'll have to be a quick draw with the spray nozzle. Looking on Craig's list now for a crate to put Maude in time out.

I'm not saying it would work for you but it did for me. If you have a cage of any sort that is big enough you could use it. Sometimes time it out works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm enjoying the bully thread. my 8 week old Buff O's are picking on my 5 week old Blk Australorps. I know who the ringleader is and think we are close to bringing it to an end. I keep telling Joanna that the little girls are going to get bigger and she better be careful.
D.gif

Just hatched 14 lavender orpingtons, i had sold the hatching eggs but then decided that the hatch rate was not up to snuff and i refunded the $$ and set the eggs myself, i got a 75% hatch rate so maybe i was wrong...

If anyone wants any lav orps just pm me... I have ALOT with this week and previous weeks hatches...

2 more overnight! that makes it 80%
smile.png

Last edited:
I have 24 Wheaten marans
Just hatched 14 lavender orpingtons, i had sold the hatching eggs but then decided that the hatch rate was not up to snuff and i refunded the $$ and set the eggs myself, i got a 75% hatch rate so maybe i was wrong...

If anyone wants any lav orps just pm me... I have ALOT with this week and previous weeks hatches...

2 more overnight! that makes it 80%
smile.png

I have 24 Wheaten Marans in the incubator due to hatch on tomorrow. Two hatched last night and 4 hatched this morning! I don't even have the brooder cleaned out and set up yet!

Runaway,
is it possible to sex a Lav Orp chick ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom