FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Thanks for your interest. It is one of the problems of where I live, being tucked in a corner of a very long state. I have until
Nov 2nd to downsize.

Chicks are pipping and hatching this morning..

It's also hard to find true Am's,. DH has been working six days a week and they are pushing for seven so we will not have time. I am new to hatching And have not wanted to spend the money on shipped eggs. Maybe once I have improved my incubating skills.

(I also posted this in an introductory thread this morning.)

Hi! I'm new to this stie and to chicken-keeping. i've done a little research, but I'm planning to learn a lot more in the coming couple months. I've recently begun planning my garden for next year and I want to include chickens in my plans this year. In addition to fresh, good-quality eggs, I think helping raise chickens will be good for my children. Teach them about raising some of their own food and all that.

My goal is to keep UP TO five birds, because that's the most the space allocated can handle. I've got the perfect place for their coop and I had planned on letting them be as free range as possible within the laws governing poultry-keeping in my city, since I live in town. I was already going to fence off and screen in my garden in an effort to keep rabbits and wild birds out, so I've designated a spot for the coop inside that fence. Built in protection from predators that way, and they'll still have access to bugs and plant stuff in the garden from dawn to dusk.

As for other considerations, I have had some trouble determining which breeds to get. I would like birds than can tolerate heat and humidity, are at least decent layers, aren't too aggressive and aren't too broody. I'll probably need at least two different breeds because I'd like a good mix of white and brown eggs (I use the shells for artwork after we eat the eggs and need both colors). I don't want to be dealing with hens that pick and fight at each other all the time, so not aggressive is probably more important than not broody. As for heat tolerant, I may be able to install a fan in the coop and there's part of the garden space that's shady due to the overhang of the house and some surrounding trees, but I don't want them to get heat stroke or anything. Flighty isn't much of an issue because they'll be in a screened in fence with a double-gated entry to reduce the risk of escape. (Also to keep the dogs and wild predators out to protect the hens and the plants.)

After reading the replies from my intro thread, I'm thinking about five different breeds that are heat-tolerant, according to mypetchicken.com. The ones on my list are the Leghorn and the Golden Campine (for white eggs), the Australorp and the Barred Plymouth Rock (for brown eggs) and maybe - if I can tweak the space requirements in the garden enough for five hens - an Easter Egger OR a Blue Ameraucana (for colored eggs). Would these birds do okay in an area where the climate is in the 80s in the spring, 90s in the summer, 70s in the fall and 50s in the winter?

I know Leghorns are reported to be flighty and possibly aggressive, so if that one won't do, is there another white egg-layer with good egg production that's heat-hardy, not too brody, etc?

Hi! I'm new to this stie and to chicken-keeping. i've done a little research, but I'm planning to learn a lot more in the coming couple months. I've recently begun planning my garden for next year and I want to include chickens in my plans this year. In addition to fresh, good-quality eggs, I think helping raise chickens will be good for my children. Teach them about raising some of their own food and all that.

My goal is to keep UP TO five birds, because that's the most the space allocated can handle. I've got the perfect place for their coop and I had planned on letting them be as free range as possible within the laws governing poultry-keeping in my city, since I live in town. I was already going to fence off and screen in my garden in an effort to keep rabbits and wild birds out, so I've designated a spot for the coop inside that fence. Built in protection from predators that way, and they'll still have access to bugs and plant stuff in the garden from dawn to dusk.

As for other considerations, I have had some trouble determining which breeds to get. I would like birds than can tolerate heat and humidity, are at least decent layers, aren't too aggressive and aren't too broody. I'll probably need at least two different breeds because I'd like a good mix of white and brown eggs (I use the shells for artwork after we eat the eggs and need both colors). I don't want to be dealing with hens that pick and fight at each other all the time, so not aggressive is probably more important than not broody. As for heat tolerant, I may be able to install a fan in the coop and there's part of the garden space that's shady due to the overhang of the house and some surrounding trees, but I don't want them to get heat stroke or anything. Flighty isn't much of an issue because they'll be in a screened in fence with a double-gated entry to reduce the risk of escape. (Also to keep the dogs and wild predators out to protect the hens and the plants.)

After reading the replies from my intro thread, I'm thinking about five different breeds that are heat-tolerant, according to mypetchicken.com. The ones on my list are the Leghorn and the Golden Campine (for white eggs), the Australorp and the Barred Plymouth Rock (for brown eggs) and maybe - if I can tweak the space requirements in the garden enough for five hens - an Easter Egger OR a Blue Ameraucana (for colored eggs). Would these birds do okay in an area where the climate is in the 80s in the spring, 90s in the summer, 70s in the fall and 50s in the winter?

I know Leghorns are reported to be flighty and possibly aggressive, so if that one won't do, is there another white egg-layer with good egg production that's heat-hardy, not too brody, etc?
welcome-byc.gif
I hope you are not planning on eating anything from your garden because the birds will beat you to it and eat it. I know from experience. They can roam in your garden but they will also eat the plants. We free range our birds but when we plant the gardens we do our best to keep the birds out so they won't eat the plants down to the ground.

Last edited:
Well, no, I had still planned to put chickenwire fences around the beds that are meant for human consumption and just move them when I need to work in that bed, let them peck around when I've got that fence down. Maybe some plants for the chickens to have for their own.

Welcome! I am in the FL panhandle, and your temps sound like mine. I can comment on Australorps from experience. They handled the heat without any trouble provided they have shade and space to dust bathe. Not crowding them should be a high priority to keep squabbles down between them. If they don't have their own space or space to retreat to, you could run into issues with them picking/pecking on each other.

I applaud the idea of chickens being good for your kids. Absolutely! They will love it and you are doing them a great service by exposing them to where food really comes from!

Put letting the kids give the chickens spaghetti noodles on your "must do" list. It will be a memory they carry for a lifetime
big_smile.png

Good luck!

I have 3 orpingtons, 2 buff and 1 black, that are docile, sweet, and so far the older one is a good layer of brown eggs. The 2 buffs aren't old enough to lay yet. As for white egg layers, I haven't a clue. My only white egg layer is a Sultan and she lays maybe 1 every 4 days, and they are small, small eggs. Coconut is was our mystery chick from mypetchicken and she is my 9 yo granddaughter's pet. Good luck in your new chicken venture.

Cmom how long do your line take to start laying?

They take 8 to 9 months to start laying, but most Heritage breeds do tend to start laying later than hatchery birds. When they do start laying they are very good layers. Both my Heritage RIR and RIW lay very well.

Well, no, I had still planned to put chickenwire fences around the beds that are meant for human consumption and just move them when I need to work in that bed, let them peck around when I've got that fence down. Maybe some plants for the chickens to have for their own.

We had to put a short fence around our blueberry bushes. They would get into them and eat the bottom leaves off of the bushes. The fence is only 2' high but they can't seem to figure out they can go over it.

Back
Top Bottom