FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Is it just me, or does 30 doz per week seem like an extremely small number? I guess they aren't kidding when they call it a "limited" license.
Well, some of us are't set up for more than the county limited number. I don't want to spend all of my time cleaning chicken coops, feeding and wqtering chickens, growing fodder, breeding mealwormsl, and sitting at Farmer's Market's every weekend.

With this limited license, which would be perfect for me, I can have a lot more chickens, have them laying all year and be able to support my 'chicken addiction' without breaking into my retirement monies! LOL

I have 2 young pullets that are outgrowing the brooding box I made, but are still too young to integrate with my 2 older hens....also, they free range, and these are too small for that. So I'm looking for a small coop/run for the new chicks. I really just need it for a couple of months. If anyone has one they don't need anymore, let me know. I don't want to spend a bundle on it since it is just temporary. I'm in Lakeland, but I can travel around Central Florida to pick one up if I need to.

Thanks
Jeff
Did you find a small coop as yet? I have one that needs some work as it was an online purchased coop that got moved with a dolly several times, and not too gently. Sits at ground level but has a built in removable poop tray and can't be penetrated from underneath. It needs some screws/nails, and a little TLC and it would be a great grow out coop. If you want to fix it and 'borrow' it, come and get it. I may need to "borrow" it back in a couple of months. ROFL

I am located in Spring Hill, FL just off the Veteran's Expressway, near County Line Road 578. If you are interested, I can possibly get some pics for you.

I don't think it's a small number. What I do think is ridiculous is the amount of the yearly fee for getting the license.
I totally agree, especially if you think about how selling a dozen eggs directly to the consumer will get you maybe $5 per dozen. The 30 doz per week means you can make maximum $150 per week (unless of course you can reliably get more per). If you were raising a production breed specifically for eggs, you would only have to produce 51 or so eggs per day to reach the max. That's less than two flats. Between my ducks and chickens I'm getting just about that many and I don't even have that many birds. Getting that many all year round is another story lol.

I am in Okeechobee, well actually Basinger, Florida. Just about 45 minutes to an hour from Ft. Pierce. We raise Chocolate Orpingtons. Welcome to the Forum.

I have a Gorgeous Chocolate Roo that is not getting along with his brother. I need to trade him if possible. Looking for a Splash hen or pullet in Florida not too far from me. I am in Basinger, Florida. We raise Chocolates.

Anyone here know of any LGD breeders in the North Florida area? We lost our guard llama last week after he had complications from being attacked by neighboring dogs a few days prior, so our goats are living in our garage until further notice. :(

Hi Meaghan, sorry to hear about your loss. I saw an ad on CL for llamas, but are the dogs that caused your loss under control now ? I'll see if I can find the ad again. Well, the ad was on the Lake City CL. Not sure I should post the ad on here. Maybe a donkey would be more aggressive to keep the dogs away.

Last edited:
Anyone here know of any LGD breeders in the North Florida area? We lost our guard llama last week after he had complications from being attacked by neighboring dogs a few days prior, so our goats are living in our garage until further notice. :(

Very sorry for your loss. If you're looking for a guard animal, there is nothing better than a donkey. They are very territorial and will not run away from a dog, mine used to plan out how to trap a dog wandering into the yard.

Hi Meaghan,  sorry to hear about your loss.  I saw an ad on CL for llamas, but are the dogs that caused your loss under control now ?  I'll see if I can find the ad again.   Well, the ad was on the Lake City CL.  Not sure I should post the ad on here.  Maybe a donkey would be more aggressive to keep the dogs away.

The dogs were our neighbors, and it was really just an accident. Their son was home alone and didn't check the porch gate before letting their dogs out. But the vet believes our llama died from tetanus despite being vaccinated, so we don't really want to put another llama in the same position if there is a possibility that we have tetanus in our soil. With a guard dog or our goats, we could at least bring them in our home to keep them from contaminating their wounds if they ever sustained any from dogs or coyotes, our two most prevalent predators. With a llama or donkey it's just not possible to bring them inside.

Very sorry for your loss.  If you're looking for a guard animal, there is nothing better than a donkey.  They are very territorial and will not run away from a dog, mine used to plan out how to trap a dog wandering into the yard. 

Our llama didn't run away, he ran at the dogs but the dogs bit his face in a couple spots. I'm afraid to put a donkey or a llama back out there because of the reason why Cloud died. :(

Back
Top Bottom