FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hello new to BYC we live in sumterville fl, I have had chickens before and a recent trip to rural king has gotten my soon to be 4 yr old son (he turns 4 on the 26th) excited about chickens I have thought about the day olds but they take so long to raise. I have already gotten the coop mostly done with the exception of roosts and a run. So my question is,,,, is anyone thinning out their flock and willing to give a few chickens to a little boy? I'm willing to buy them also but there seems to be an abundance of chickens needing new homes. I hope I am not insulting anyone by asking for free chickens.
1f601.png
Too bad you aren't willing to raise some chicks. My 2 1/2 yo and 4 yo granddaughters live with me and watch the babies hatch, help clean their brooders, handle them, talk to them, etc. They each have 3 or 4 chickens now that they have raised over the last year and those chickens follow them around the yard like lap dogs. LOL

I have some chicks that will be 4 weeks old this coming weekend. They are $6 & $7 each, various breeds, straight run only. I have too many actually and just put 16 more in lockdown in the incubator. What was I thinking!??!?
th.gif

I don't have any to donate to a worthy cause at this time.

There are numerous FaceBook groups dealing with chickens in FL. Perhaps you can find someone via that avenue as well. Most people who have invested time and effort into raising from chicks, don't usually give them away when it comes to point of lay, or older though. Any hen that is laying eggs is a valuable chicken.

It is my suggestion that you find your son a couple of bantams, a size he can handle at his age, and perhaps a couple of standard/large size.

Good luck!

Hello new to BYC we live in sumterville fl, I have had chickens before and a recent trip to rural king has gotten my soon to be 4 yr old son (he turns 4 on the 26th) excited about chickens I have thought about the day olds but they take so long to raise. I have already gotten the coop mostly done with the exception of roosts and a run. So my question is,,,, is anyone thinning out their flock and willing to give a few chickens to a little boy? I'm willing to buy them also but there seems to be an abundance of chickens needing new homes. I hope I am not insulting anyone by asking for free chickens.
1f601.png
welcome-byc.gif
It is so much fun to watch the chicks grow. I have hatched out everyone of my birds I have now. My original birds came from a feed store but they are long gone now. The chicks will be laying in 5 to 6 months. I have eggs in my incubator due to hatch in just over 2 weeks. I just love to watch them grow and go through their different stages. The chicks will get to know you and will follow you everywhere. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
sumterflfreed - I have a dark brahma chick that is 3.5 wks old- fine for outside now. BUT they don't do well by themselves so it would need a lot of attention or another older chick... I don't have a second or third chick to give. If you want to try it that's fine- I have no idea if it is a pullet or roo. I'll be heading to the Clermont area this weekend or Tampa any day. Let me know.

Quick question for all of you! I don't know how many of you guys are on Facebook, but recently on a Florida livestock/farming group someone brought up that they spoke to FWC and apparently anyone who raises any poultry or rabbits, regardless of whether they are domestic, heritage, game, etc. breeds have to have a game farm permit if they consume, sell, or propagate them. I hadn't heard about this until now, and was just wondering if any of you guys had any more information about it.

I guess my confusion is that domestic breeds of poultry and rabbits are not wildlife they're farm animals, so they wouldn't fall under FWC's scope of control but rather the Florida Department of Ag. I can understand FWC controlling wild species of rabbit and birds, but farm animals?

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I do plan on raising chicks in the future just was wanting to start with some around a couple weeks old to see how my boy does with them. I may be interested in the 3.5 week old chick. A friend of ours is going to give us a couple silkie chicks not sure on age or how many. Atleast 2 I know. Anyone have any advice on silkies I've only ever raised RIR

I ma
sumterflfreed - I have a dark brahma chick that is 3.5 wks old- fine for outside now. BUT they don't do well by themselves so it would need a lot of attention or another older chick... I don't have a second or third chick to give. If you want to try it that's fine- I have no idea if it is a pullet or roo. I'll be heading to the Clermont area this weekend or Tampa any day. Let me know.
y

I may be interested in te chick I should be getting a couple young silkies that could be companions for the little one where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom