FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hello there. I just got my ducklings in the mail- was anticipating 10 - but Metzer mistakenly shipped through the holiday and so the babies were in a shipping facility for 4 days before they got to me. So now I only have 5 ducks. Since I'm raising them for egg production - and the idea is to never have to purchase store bought eggs again, I want a total of 10 ducks. But I'm hesitant to trust shipping them again. Does anyone know of a place in Florida or even possible a person on this site that is looking to sell some Runners/khaki Campbells/white layers/golden layers? It would be fine if they are fully grown or already laying.
I would call the hatchery and ask them to either replace them or refund your money. They should have known better than to ship them like that. I will have Khaki Campbell ducklings in January or February.

I would call the hatchery and ask them to either replace them or refund your money. They should have known better than to ship them like that. I will have Khaki Campbell ducklings in January or February.

x2, give them a call. I've never ordered from them but I've heard they are a good company to work with.

Update on the Metzer deal- gave them a call. They said the label was prepared on the 10th and that they shipped them on the 12th but since they were 2 days old by then, it was going to be difficult for them to survive with no food or water in the box with them. They were very nice and assured me that this IS NOT THE NORM. I ordered replacements plus two more to make it a flock of a dozen. They ship on the 23rd.

Good for you for calling them. Good luck and keep us posted on the new arrivals!

Hey everyone! I am wondering if anyone in Florida is interested in two cockerels I have. I have one Swedish Black Hen (Svart Hona) cockerel and one Ayam Cemani cockerel. They are about 4 months old and they look great, however, we don't need anymore roosters and can't keep them. We only have one breeding pair of the cemani and one breeding pair of the swedish black hens (both from Greenfire) from what I've read you should never breed brothers/sisters but it is okay to breed the parents to the kids (sounds so weird typing it out!) anyway, for that reason we are going to keep our hens with the roo we got from Greenfire, but unfortunately can't keep the little roos. They are beautiful and so sweet that we'd love to give them to someone who might want them for a breeding project instead of just culling them or putting them on craigslist. They would definitely make some interesting babies! I'd always wanted to mix one of these breeds with a silkie and see what happened!

Figured this would be the best place to ask, we are in North Fl about an hour from Gainesville (Live Oak/Lake City area)
The Ayam Cemani is on the left and the Swedish Black Hen is on the right.

Their coloring is pretty identical, however the Cemani are taller/leaner than the Swedish Black Hen's. The SBH have the sweetest faces.
Here is the Cemani on his own

and here is the Swedish Black Hen on his own (he has some chicken feed on his back, it's not white feathering! Just messy chickens lol)

Hey everyone! I am wondering if anyone in Florida is interested in two cockerels I have. I have one Swedish Black Hen (Svart Hona) cockerel and one Ayam Cemani cockerel. They are about 4 months old and they look great, however, we don't need anymore roosters and can't keep them. We only have one breeding pair of the cemani and one breeding pair of the swedish black hens (both from Greenfire) from what I've read you should never breed brothers/sisters but it is okay to breed the parents to the kids (sounds so weird typing it out!) anyway, for that reason we are going to keep our hens with the roo we got from Greenfire, but unfortunately can't keep the little roos. They are beautiful and so sweet that we'd love to give them to someone who might want them for a breeding project instead of just culling them or putting them on craigslist. They would definitely make some interesting babies! I'd always wanted to mix one of these breeds with a silkie and see what happened!

Figured this would be the best place to ask, we are in North Fl about an hour from Gainesville (Live Oak/Lake City area)
The Ayam Cemani is on the left and the Swedish Black Hen is on the right.

Their coloring is pretty identical, however the Cemani are taller/leaner than the Swedish Black Hen's. The SBH have the sweetest faces.
Here is the Cemani on his own

and here is the Swedish Black Hen on his own (he has some chicken feed on his back, it's not white feathering! Just messy chickens lol)

What are you asking for them? Please PM me with info. I lost my Cemani Rooster a few weeks back and my hen just started laying this week. I will take both though as I have a friend who has the SvartHona's.

They would definitely make some interesting babies! I'd always wanted to mix one of these breeds with a silkie and see what happened!
Now you started me thinking ...
hide.gif

I have splash Silkies that would be a lot of fun crossed with these goth all-black chickens.

.... Like I need another project ... !
Do the hens go broody?

Now you started me thinking ...
hide.gif

I have splash Silkies that would be a lot of fun crossed with these goth all-black chickens.

.... Like I need another project ... !
Do the hens go broody?
Brookhavens is going to take them, but we will always have more as they grow out and we get rid of the roos. If you think on it and decide you want to mix them, I will let you know when we have more extras! Our Svart Hona hen actually went broody a few weeks after she started laying! We were so bummed because we hadn't yet separated the two breeding pairs and so we didn't know who's eggs she was sitting on (or who the daddy was!) so we let her hatch them but she only had one baby that hatched. She took care of him for almost 4 weeks (ended up being a roo) and we gave him away, once she started laying again we always take her eggs but she is sneaky and still tries to lay on them if we don't get them in time.

It's so funny because the only other hen we have had that went broody was our silkie hen years ago. Out of the 7 breeds we have owned, we've only had a broody silkie and a broody swedish black hen. I'm not sure if that's the norm, but it was with ours!

Hello fellow Floridians, my name is Duke, and I'm new to the site. I look forward to learning plenty while raising chickens for both eggs and meat. My wife and I currently have four Red Sexlinks six weeks old to start us out while we wait until the spring to order some Easter Egger chicks. Forgot to say, I'm in New Smyrna Beach, south of Daytona, in Volusia county.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom