FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Manatee County Area! New to chickens, just picked up our four chicks on Saturday.
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good day all, I am a new chicken keeper. (2 years) my question is, do florida chickens stop laying in the autumn and winter? Didn't have much production in the hot summer even though we had fans, fresh water at all times, I have seven very health hens. Molting is completed and oyster shell provided. 4 Easter eggers, 1 Leghorn, 1 RIR. And Astrolop. All under 2 1/2 years

Manatee County Area! New to chickens, just picked up our four chicks on Saturday.

Welcome to BYC and the Florida thread!
frow.gif

Just a reminder of our monthly Farm Swaps.

We have a lot of buyers but need more sellers/vendors.
People getting together. If you are just thinking about chickens or small livestock or already have an established flock, then you won't want to miss these events. Come join us for a day of talking, swapping and selling poultry and small livestock. Swap stories and information. Have some chickens you need to re-home, maybe Rabbits, goats, a calf, pigs, eating eggs or hatching eggs to sell? How about some pieces of old farm... equipment, a small tractor, harrow or what have you. Maybe you have plants and trees. Also things like soaps and lotions, etc., made from (example) goats milk are ok to sell. What are you going to do? Bring it on down to the Farm Swaps. We suggest vendors bring either a canopy or umbrella, there are some shaded areas, some open areas. These are farm swaps only so we ask that there are no flea market or garage sale items. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends, heck we don’t care if you tell your enemies. Meet us for a beautiful day of chatting, buying, selling or swapping your farm related wares. As Always, No Fees! Come join us for our Monthly Farm Swaps @

Dunnellon Tractor Supply Company Farm Swap Meet, Dunnellon, FL
9:00 AM To around 1:00 PM
Always the 2nd Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
11252 N Williams St,
Dunnellon, FL 34432

Crystal River Mall monthly Farm Swap Meet and Rural King Farm store
9:00 AM To around 1:00 PM
Always the 4th Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428
The Farm Swap is outside in the mall parking lot area next to the main mall
entrance on Hwy 19 and Office Max across from Rural King..
For more info on our swaps: [email protected]

Good day all, I am a new chicken keeper. (2 years) my question is, do florida chickens stop laying in the autumn and winter? Didn't have much production in the hot summer even though we had fans, fresh water at all times, I have seven very health hens. Molting is completed and oyster shell provided. 4 Easter eggers, 1 Leghorn, 1 RIR. And Astrolop. All under 2 1/2 years
welcome6smiley.gif
The heat and extreme cold as well as amount of light can affect laying. Sometimes after they have gone through their molt they may take a while to get started again. This has been an odd year. I had birds that stopped laying who I have consistently gotten eggs from before this years molt, they are 2 and 3 years old. They are pure breeds. My Leghorns and Red Sex-Links haven't skipped a beat and I get eggs from them every day. Don't know what going on with the non layers. They have plenty of fresh water, supplemental light, good feed. I actually give them higher protein feed while they are molting to help with their feather growth. I don't have fans in my coops but they do have shade. I planted trees in all of the pens and made shade tables too.

Last edited:
Im super excited, i got a incubator from a friend and as most of you have seen pics of chickens on my profile, ichabod my frizzle polish will hopefully have a few babies soon , he is my only rooster (besides my small sermas) so hopefully ill have a few more polish frizzles between him and jar jar binks ,and frizzled ameracaunas between him and brownie , and some frizzled silver laced between him , yoda and r2d2 plus i put a few quail eggs in so fingers crossed :D:D:D

Im super excited, i got a incubator from a friend and as most of you have seen pics of chickens on my profile, ichabod my frizzle polish will hopefully have a few babies soon , he is my only rooster (besides my small sermas) so hopefully ill have a few more polish frizzles between him and jar jar binks ,and frizzled ameracaunas between him and brownie , and some frizzled silver laced between him , yoda and r2d2 plus i put a few quail eggs in so fingers crossed :D:D:D

We used to (try) to raise quail when I was a kid. They seem to be difficult. Hope yours prove me wrong. I'd love to have some. Cornish game are pretty easy from what I remember though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom