FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Evening All!

Just an introduction and hello!
My name is Courtney and I am brand new to the country life, chickens and to Florida!
My husband and I just moved from a tiny village in Upstate New York to a 3-acre setting in Marion County, Florida. It's all new to me!

When we bought the property a month ago it came with a coop & run and 7 chickens. They looked crowded and miserable so I decided to give 5 to my mother-in-law and keep 2 - a RIR and an Austalorp -much more manageable for a first-timer!

Having zero chicken knowledge I started searching the internet and found this site! It has been an invaluable source of inspiration and information. The girls now have better bedding, a dust bath with DE for the mites, a treat ball, fresh greens every day, a new feeder and waterer (nipple style that stays clean!) Spoiled already. Next up: a new coop!

As for known predators- I have hawks as well. Mme. Curie (named because she figured out the waterer first so I figured she was brilliant) made a dash out of the coop and after I chased her around 5 times and herded her back in- a hawk landed on the ground 10 feet from me. Chloe', the golden retriever, sat there quietly and watched it all. The hawk was fearless! I had to run at it yelling and wave it away before it flew up to a branch - right over the coop, no less! I'm just glad Madame Curie turned into the coop instead of taking another lap. Lesson learned: don't leave door cracked open when I enter coop & run. I'm sure that there are many more chicken lessons in my future.

Thanks in advance for all the questions I will be asking!!

Evening All!

Just an introduction and hello!
My name is Courtney and I am brand new to the country life, chickens and to Florida!
My husband and I just moved from a tiny village in Upstate New York to a 3-acre setting in Marion County, Florida. It's all new to me!

When we bought the property a month ago it came with a coop & run and 7 chickens. They looked crowded and miserable so I decided to give 5 to my mother-in-law and keep 2 - a RIR and an Austalorp -much more manageable for a first-timer!

Having zero chicken knowledge I started searching the internet and found this site! It has been an invaluable source of inspiration and information. The girls now have better bedding, a dust bath with DE for the mites, a treat ball, fresh greens every day, a new feeder and waterer (nipple style that stays clean!) Spoiled already. Next up: a new coop!

As for known predators- I have hawks as well. Mme. Curie (named because she figured out the waterer first so I figured she was brilliant) made a dash out of the coop and after I chased her around 5 times and herded her back in- a hawk landed on the ground 10 feet from me. Chloe', the golden retriever, sat there quietly and watched it all. The hawk was fearless! I had to run at it yelling and wave it away before it flew up to a branch - right over the coop, no less! I'm just glad Madame Curie turned into the coop instead of taking another lap. Lesson learned: don't leave door cracked open when I enter coop & run. I'm sure that there are many more chicken lessons in my future.

Thanks in advance for all the questions I will be asking!!

Hi welcome to fl and to byc, what part of new york , my family is from Wellsville, one day i left my coop open a hair too and my dang rooster was like a kid hyped up on sugar hour later i finally cornered him in our garage lol , it happens :confused:
Lol theres a lot of great people on here with a lot of great advice ive learned that myself so dont shy away from asking questions

Hi Courtney, welcome to BYC & the FL thread!
frow.gif

Hi welcome to fl and to byc, what part of new york , my family is from Wellsville, one day i left my coop open a hair too and my dang rooster was like a kid hyped up on sugar hour later i finally cornered him in our garage lol , it happens
hu.gif

Lol theres a lot of great people on here with a lot of great advice ive learned that myself so dont shy away from asking questions
I have spring hinges on the coop.... that helps.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how I should treat possibly a sick two week old chick? She's making weird sneezing noises and gurgling and opening her beak to breathe about 50% of the time. There's no discharge from her eyes or her nose. I posted on the upper respiratory infection site but haven't heard back from anyone. She separated from the other seven at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom