FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

That is for the last 3 days after I take the eggs out of the turner and lay them on the wire then I want to bring up the humidity. The last 3 days is when the chicks will position themselves in the eggs to pip and zip then hatch.
So.... the real concern for humidity is just the last three days in both the 1588 and the LG. I was just about to put eggs in the LG and I found out I am getting chicks tomorrow! Very excited but I am going to try the LG very soon. I will practice on my eggs that I sell. Not that they aren't NICE.... but they are here and sort of inexpensive!
gig.gif

Quote:
As long as they are fertile. During the cooler months and hot months, my males tend not to be as fertile, so I'll get quite a few blanks. In the spring they are the most fertile, but then so aren't most of nature's creatures.

I'll do a test hatch probably in April and see how many blanks I get. I am in the process of setting up my breeding pens now. I have some of the birds moved but still have more to go. I'm putting up new wire between the pens as I go. so it is a bit labor intensive right now. We had to jack up some coops and have a couple to go. Have to get it done. Every day I do some more but when in the golden years I don't feel too golden. Lots of work always to do. Good luck with your eggs and have fun...

Quick question. I have one BCM chick that hatched yesterday. Doesn't do it all the time, but I occasionally see it panting. And it's not just when it's under the heat lamp. Otherwise it seems very healthy and strong. Is this something I should keep eye on? Thanks!

UPDATE on my schedule order from Meyer Hatchery!

My delivery date seems to be March 1-3. This is a good chance to get pullets that the feed stores do not usually have stocked. Anyone interested? I will need to place an order in the next few days. Thanks!!

Again, I am in Port Orange near the PO Pavillion in Volusia County.

Danielle

Thank you to all who chimed in about the humidity.
I got to the replies a little late, and had already put my 26 eggs in the incubator with water in the middle trough. The humidity has been steady at 42%.

I was told the eggs were between a day and two week old, so in ten days I will try to use my homemade candler to see if they are viable. Any advice on that would be appreciated!

Sought of unexpectedly, I am getting a dozen cream Legbar eggs tomorrow. It will be 48 hours between the first batch and second.
Can anyone offer advice on what to do when lockdown time comes? I know the goal is to open the incubator as little as possible, but I am a little concerned about the process, i.e, where the humidity should be, when to panic, etc.
I want to do whatever is necessary to ensure the lives of the new chicks without endangering the eggs shortly going to hatch...

Thanks again!
Danielle

I got to the replies a little late, and had already put my 26 eggs in the incubator with water in the middle trough. The humidity has been steady at 42%.

I was told the eggs were between a day and two week old, so in ten days I will try to use my homemade candler to see if they are viable. Any advice on that would be appreciated!

Sought of unexpectedly, I am getting a dozen cream Legbar eggs tomorrow. It will be 48 hours between the first batch and second. 
Can anyone offer advice on what to do when lockdown time comes? I know the goal is to open the incubator as little as possible, but I am a little concerned about the process, i.e, where the humidity should be, when to panic, etc.
I want to do whatever is necessary to ensure the lives of the new chicks without endangering the eggs shortly going to hatch...

Thanks again!
Danielle

Sally Sunshine has a ton of info about candling.

Get this from WalMart

Shoot about 20 holes in it with a BB gun.
When your first batch of eggs are ready for lockdown put a little container with soaked paper towels inside with the eggs. It will raise the humidity enough.

Put your 2nd batch in paper cartons beside the spinach container. Elevate one end of the carton (we use a shot glass). Rotate the carton to elevate the opposite end everytime you remember.

Thanks again!
Danielle

Do you have access to another incubator? I do staggered hatches but my incubator is a cabinet and I use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers. That way I can keep track of the chicks I'm hatching. I would be a bit concerned about the humidity. I have gotten mixed up on my setting dates and was a week off a couple of times and chicks started hatching in the cabinet, which means the humidity was on the low side. I moved the rest of those eggs pipped and all to a styrofoam to continue the hatch. I misted the eggs when I put them in. At day 10 you should see blood veins when you candle and you might see some movement, around day 14 you will see the embryo moving around. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom