FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hey everyone! I'm Colin, new to BYC. Just moved to Brandon, FL and finally have a yard; no chickens yet, but soon, hopefully!
When I was a child, we'd get chicks through the mail in enormous numbers to raise for meat. But how would I go about finding just a few young hens? If this is the wrong thread for the question, let me know. Thank you!
Click on these links below. I sell some birds at local swap meets. Most of the people are regulars and have good birds. Every once in awhile some one will show up with some not so good birds. I can pretty much tell by looking at them what kind of care and feed they are getting. We have several swaps in my area. We have started a couple of quite successful swaps. I have posted them several times on this thread.

UPCOMING FLORIDA Swaps/Sales/Shows/Events - Georgia Too
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Florida_Swap.html

Hey everyone. A guy down the road is selling 2 month old pullets for $15. Is that a decent price for North Florida? The breeds he has are... Light Brahmas, cuckoo marans, Easter eggers, speckled sussex, and Rhode island reds. Any advice is welcome!
Thanks

Hey everyone. A guy down the road is selling 2 month old pullets for $15. Is that a decent price for North Florida? The breeds he has are... Light Brahmas, cuckoo marans, Easter eggers, speckled sussex, and Rhode island reds. Any advice is welcome!
Thanks

Cage,

I can't speak for your area but in Brevard County area 7-8 Week old RIR/BR/EE pullets are $8-10 and "STARTED" pullets are $15-20.

At least at 8 weeks, you know for sure sex.

Hi everyone i wanted to share pics of my two crazy looking chicks lol they have half yellow and have black beaks,wings, and eyes ,one is frizzled one is smooth :D

Thanks

Personally I'd have to see the birds first. That is what we sell them for in our area but they are nice birds and not old hens someone doesn't want to feed anymore.

Hey everyone! I'm Colin, new to BYC. Just moved to Brandon, FL and finally have a yard; no chickens yet, but soon, hopefully!
When I was a child, we'd get chicks through the mail in enormous numbers to raise for meat. But how would I go about finding just a few young hens? If this is the wrong thread for the question, let me know. Thank you!

Welcome Colin! We're near Brandon, but can't have chickens in our community so looking for a couple acres.
Tractor Supply in Plant City has chicks. The best to you you!
1f33b.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

welcome-byc.gif

So I've been moving for days because the friends who were supposed to show and help of course never showed and my previous landlord is angry... My chicken's temporary coop is a large playhouse turned coop and it takes a trailer and about 4-5 STRONG men to move it... so i thought maybe a flatbed tow truck..? but we can't get a truck into the backyard.. any ideas on how to move a large coop quickly? We got it there 3 years ago on a lawn trailer and with a bunch of guys, but the lawn trailer has since been gone and i need ideas for a quick move to get my pullets to my new house!

I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and that is what has worked best for me. If you are having great hatches that's great. There are a lot of people who would like better hatches. I think most manufactures of incubators suggest too high of humidity during incubation and sometimes not high enough when the eggs get set for hatching.

I think thats why i get a couple that have the yellow jello stuff cause i do my best to keep the humitidy at 60%-65% and sometimes i get a hundred percent hatch out and some hatches ill have two or three give or take that show signs of high humitidy so i figured if i just experiment and put a couple eggs in just see what happens so i think after the ones i have in there hatch out ill test out dry hatching

Back
Top Bottom