FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Oh and...safe zones for wee chickens..We got a boardwalk of sorts...just a collection of pallets ( Free ) leading up to the coop and barn that are lifted up with rocks and bricks. Make great quick to get to "you can't get me" spots and greater bug and lizard homes too! Which...the bitty one LOVE hanging out under!

Oh no no nononononooooooo that will NOT do! Though by the picture you took, it looks young, an egg eating rodent is an egg eating rodent!  HOW did it get in?  You figure it yet?  We had squirrels getting in to steal feed a while back and I was actually thankful to them because in watching them get in through out the day I was able to rodent proof it  Ga!  seeing that pic of that possum gets my hair up!  Maybe see about setting a live trap ?  Good luck to you, I wouldn't be able to rest myself...we got lots of possums and raccoons around here.  Feral cats too.
Settle petal
1f609.png
! It was a fluke. I was late getting out to close the coop up and it was a very tiny baby. Other than some ankle biting he couldn't have done damage. He barely had teeth. He was more scared of the chickens than they were of him. My Tuffnut was down watching while the rest of the literal chickens stayed up high. My chooks are only 11 weeks so no eggs to steal yet. He looked young enough to still travel on his mum so I'm thinking he may have fallen from the trees and took shelter in the nearest spot he could find.

Last edited:
Hello all I am in Deland, Florida. I have been looking for a female guinea for 4 days now. My hen was killed by coon at her nest and all my males left after into woods. I managed to find 1 male my biggest yet he is lonely my daughter hasnt stopped crying cause she raised him(Simon) and Theodore (a lil chubby guinea) together every day she has been wandering through the woods looking for her Theodore. I have heard her talking to Simon telling him dont be lonely Theodore will be back. After school she sits in front facing woods waiting for her little Theodore to come home its been 4 days and I dont believe he could have lasted this long. My question is I have gone everywhere  to find Simon a mate to keep him happy and my daughter. If anyone has an adult female Id pay well and would take great care of her. Please someone nearby Help us out.I am near Osteen and Geneva is about 45 minutes. Thanx 
Did you ever get a guinea girl? I can't find my neighbor's phone # & his gate is always closed b/C of livestock, so I have to run into him. Sorry this is dragging on.

My girls did a little exploring today outside the coop. I was so nervous and kept a watch on the sky certain a hawk would fly on down and take one away! Yes I am a nervous chicken mama!

Oh no no nononononooooooo that will NOT do! Though by the picture you took, it looks young, an egg eating rodent is an egg eating rodent! HOW did it get in? You figure it yet? We had squirrels getting in to steal feed a while back and I was actually thankful to them because in watching them get in through out the day I was able to rodent proof it Ga! seeing that pic of that possum gets my hair up! Maybe see about setting a live trap ? Good luck to you, I wouldn't be able to rest myself...we got lots of possums and raccoons around here. Feral cats too.
I cannot rodent proof. I keep trying, though.
My broody hen got off the nest today - I took her out of the box and took the box out of the coop and she picked right up with the other chickens like nothing happened. Then, tonight, she was on a crate in the inside coop looking where her box belonged. So, I put it back, she hopped back in. I took an egg that was layed today by another hen and put it under her . . . I also noticed today that yes, the Rooster is "active" so my eggs are fertile. Right?

I hope the baby opossum made it back out! They usually hang on to Mom at that age, literally.

My girls did a little exploring today outside the coop. I was so nervous and kept a watch on the sky certain a hawk would fly on down and take one away! Yes I am a nervous chicken mama!

Why would they ever want to leave that coop? It is so nice!
clap.gif

My hen will not voluntarily come off nest. No eggs under her. After two days of anguish I am feeding her by hand and giving her water. Broody is good but with no eggs there should I pick her up and out of the box? I do not want her to become permanently a non-brooder but I can't personally go on like this!
sad.png

Take her out of the nest box. I have a few broody's right now too and every day when I go out to collect eggs I take them out of the nest boxes and they usually go right back in and every day it's the same routine. Don't worry you may break her for this year but when she is ready to be broody again she will. Several years a go I let one of the girls hatch and brood some chicks. I had to go out every day and take the broody off of the nest because she wouldn't get off so every day I took her off for around 15 to 20 minutes, she wasn't happy about it, but she would eat, drink and poop. As soon as I unblocked her nest she was back in it is a second. She hatched out every egg that was under her. Don't worry be happy, good luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom