FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have ice bottles in their water bucket, a pan of ice water to stand/drink from, complete shade and a water mister in the run...is there anything else I can do to cool these guys down?
How about freezing fruit and vegetables in ice trays. I keep hearing other people talking about it all the time. I'm going to try it out. Will your chickens eat watermelon and grapes? I cool down the fruit or vegetables for a couple of hours and give it to them. I thought my Buff Orpingtons were going to run over the rest of my hens yesterday. I started tossing cold blueberries in the coop and the buffs jumped and ran over anyone that got in their way!

It is getting so hot out, but my hens are still laying a good amount of eggs. I have heard for others about heat and chickens don't mix. Some of their chickens stop laying eggs. I wonder, if mine will slow down. My hens will be a year old in October.

Thank you all for suggestions!

Look who's happy...

Last edited:
It is getting so hot out, but my hens are still laying a good amount of eggs.  I have heard for others about heat and chickens don't mix.  Some of their chickens stop laying eggs.  I wonder, if mine will slow down.  My hens will be a year old in October.
Our friend is getting 5 eggs a day from 40 hens so I'm guessing heat is a factor. I did get two eggs yesterday from my EE but none today. Who knows. I give them cold watermelon and veggies they like but they gobble it up so quickly it can only cool them down for a minute. Their coop temp has been 98 all day with a fan, air vents and big window so I'd have been surprised if I did get an egg.

She is pretty. I have blue, green, light brown and dark brown eggs.  I love to see color on the egg shells!
[/quote]my two EEs I had to rehome a few weeks ago were gorgeous but turned out they loved to crow
1f615.png
I was so upset to rehome all 4 of my EEs but knowing my mix is an EE is so eggciting!
1f609.png

How about freezing fruit and vegetables in ice trays. I keep hearing other people talking about it all the time. I'm going to try it out. Will your chickens eat watermelon and grapes? I cool down the fruit or vegetables for a couple of hours and give it to them. I thought my Buff Orpingtons were going to run over the rest of my hens yesterday. I started tossing cold blueberries in the coop and the buffs jumped and ran over anyone that got in their way!
I love doing that, it's a sight to see them go nuts for chilled or frozen treats. Jeanie's usually a "get away, this is all mine" when I do treats but when its cool stuff on a hot day, she's more interested in gobbling up stuff than running the twins off. Blueberries, watermelon ( they eat up the rind too ) frozen peas, chilled peaches, watch out your fingers don't come back as nubs if you hand feed them that! But the chilled grapes...wow, I have to be on the outside of their yard to give them that by tossing them in, otherwise they mug me like they're rolling someone for their wallet, it's a near terror!

Oh and the kiddy pool idea I got from here is a wonder! They either stand in it where the rocks are piled up so they just get their feet wet or I give them a pick up and dunk them in and wet their..underarms? Do we call it that? Under wings....whatever. Lucy, one of the R.I.R,s love that. And the scratching in the puddles...like watching kids play in the mud.

Bella is a very sweet dog, with excellent temperament, but her current family does not have the time to dedicate to her. If you or anyone you know may be interested in checking her out, please contact: Mandy (352) 274-8564 or Laura Campbell at: (508) 627-0280.

Bella is a very sweet dog, with excellent temperament, but her current family does not have the time to dedicate to her. If you or anyone you know may be interested in checking her out, please contact: Mandy (352) 274-8564 or Laura Campbell at: (508) 627-0280.

What a beautiful girl!
We are a GSD family. We have two, very large, white boys. Thomas and Gunnar.
And, Matilda, my sweet, trouble making, hard headed, little JRT girl. Not sure what else I expected from a terrier, and named her Matilda on top of that.

If we had room I would adopt Bella in a heartbeat. All furniture positions in our home are currently occupied though.
I hope someone gives her a wonderful home. GSDs do require a good amount of time from their people.

Back
Top Bottom