FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Lots of wind. I can't bring in my birds. I have way too many. Checked the coops earlier and so far so good then. I do have some chicks in my garage. Good luck to everyone...

Power is back on! Woohoooo! Lol
2 days without power, not that bad, two days without A/C and without generator for your fridge and freezer, bad! We made it ok. No dead trees fell onto the house.lol
Chickens are fine too.

I have quite a bit of work to do on a couple of the coops from the storm "Hermine". The wind blew off one of the vent covers so for now I screwed a piece of plywood up to keep the rain out and the feed dry, and on another coop the wind blew some of the rolled roofing loose (which I already fixed) and on another coop it blew some of the rolled roofing off and onto the netting over a pen. That was fun trying to wrestle that off and out of the pen. Also the roofing took down a piece of fence I had to put back up. Then I noticed my electric wire didn't work so I went around the pens and on the back side some more fencing was down which was strange as it is rather new. I had replaced it not long ago and I don't know how it came down so I put it back up. The plan is to put metal roofs on the coops that don't have the metal roofs on and also metal siding on them. I have some of the metal but need to get more. I was kind of waiting until cooler weather to start those projects. I'm going to try to fix the roof that the rolled roofing came off of as I don't have the metal for it yet so I'll be off to get some materials today. I'll have to get measurements so I can order the rest of the metal. I just want to keep the coops dry inside and the one the rolled roofing came off of is leaking so I want to fix it asap. I do the work myself. Hubby has Parkinson's. He does what he can. The biggest part of the storm where it made landfall was a bit north of us be we still got heavy winds and flooding. We didn't get flooded here but we are on a hill (hilltop Farm) and if it floods here the whole state will be under water. We are in Citrus County Florida. In town it flooded. The pens are very muddy even though it's sand. We needed rain but now we need some dry. No trees down but lots of branches on the ground. It rained a good portion of today too. I think tomorrow is supposed to be dryer with possible afternoon rain. I just cleaned some of the coops before this storm and rain but because of the muddy mess the birds track in I'll have to clean them out again. That was my day, in off and on rain.

I have quite a bit of work to do on a couple of the coops from the storm "Hermine". The wind blew off one of the vent covers so for now I screwed a piece of plywood up to keep the rain out and the feed dry, and on another coop the wind blew some of the rolled roofing loose (which I already fixed) and on another coop it blew some of the rolled roofing off and onto the netting  over a pen. That was fun trying to wrestle that off and out of the pen. Also the roofing took down a piece of fence I had to put back up. Then I noticed my electric wire didn't work so I went around the pens and on the back side some more fencing was down which was strange as it is rather new. I had replaced it not long ago and I don't know how it came down so I put it back up. The plan is to put metal roofs on the coops that don't have the metal roofs on and also metal siding on them. I have some of the metal but need to get more. I was kind of waiting until cooler weather to start those projects. I'm going to try to fix the roof that the rolled roofing came off of as I don't have the metal for it yet so I'll be off to get some materials today. I'll have to get measurements so I can order the rest of the metal. I just want to keep the coops dry inside and the one the rolled roofing came off of is leaking so I want to fix it asap. I do the work myself. Hubby has Parkinson's. He does what he can. The  biggest part of the storm where it made landfall was a bit north of us be we still got heavy winds and flooding. We didn't get flooded here but we are on a hill (hilltop Farm) and if it floods here the whole state will be under water. We are in Citrus County Florida. In town it flooded. The pens are very muddy even though it's sand. We needed rain but now we need some dry. No trees down but lots of branches on the ground. It rained a good portion of today too. I think tomorrow is supposed to be dryer with possible afternoon rain. I just cleaned some of the coops before this storm and rain but because of the muddy mess the birds track in I'll have to clean them out again. That was my day, in off and on rain.

That is some After Storm Report, Cmom! I'm happw you and chickens are safe. My, what a lot of work ahead of you. The water should dissipate in a day or two. Fencing and Siding and Roofing, O My! Blessings to you.

Hi! I just found this thread and it's good to know there are so many peeps here in Florida! I'm in Tampa, new to the forum, and cleaning up after the aftermath of the storm. Sadly, I lost one of my Ameraucaunas 4 nights ago from (what I now know) an impacted crop (she died in my arms). With the ground being so saturated we can't bury her until it dries out some.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are others here in Tampa on the forum. I'm a newbie to this but happy I found this thread!

Karen

(RIP my beautiful Peaches)

Back
Top Bottom