FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

My coop is about 3- 4 ft off the ground easier to maintain and harder for predators my nest boxes open from the outside easier to remove eggs when all you see is the hens butt and if setting that keeps you from being bit as easy! And I'm lazy lol I wAter my birds no more than once a week ! Looking at ways I can feed them only once or twice a month now that way I can concentrate my efforts with the other aspects of chickens like building a incubator/ brooder, predator controll and sitting back and watching the crazy birds!!

It's the run I was specifically asking about. Not the coop but I do plan to use sand in our coop as well, it will have a solid floor. There are in progress pictures of our swing set coop/run in the coop design forum. But it's still just framed out so not very interesting. The thread is titled Sunnydale. This is only part of our set up as we plan on setting up a larger fenced chicken "yard", if you will.

I use pine shaving in the coops. I guess it also depends on how big of a coop you're building. We also use the poop and the pine shaving from the coops when I clean them out in our composts.
DH with his helpers.

I use pine shaving in the coops. I guess it also depends on how big of a coop you're building. We also use the poop and the pine shaving from the coops when I clean them out in our composts. DH with his helpers.
Great pics!!! Yea I'm not saying any way is gospel because each one does it different but find your best way and don't let others tell you your wrong because most of the time they are! I had chickens when I was little it was never that complicated you fed them and they give you eggs and meat. And do you think that when the first chicken was raised on the first farm that they had instructions? Or like so many variants in incubation what works for one is disaster for the other if we were all experts and did it the same there would always be different outcomes there would be kaos! But no it more of what works best for you because no two setups or yards are the same! I love this group because of the knowledge I can rely on to try other ways to find the best way of one thing that suits my way of doing things and helps me out achieving that goal!

So true, each person is different as is each bird and circumstances. I had my first flock about 50 years ago and it was different then. Now that I'm up there in years I try to do things much differently. I can't do the things I did when I was young and I have way too many birds and need to downsize. I wish everyone good luck and have fun with your flocks.

For anyone who lives near Citrus County, our Crystal River Mall Rural King Farm Swap is this Saturday. I will be bringing some Partridge Rock pullets. There will be several different breeds available and Rural King sells chicks. Maybe you have a few birds or animals you need to re-home (chickens, geese, quail, turkeys, ducks, guineas, rabbits, goats, pigs). There will also be mealworms, pet beds, egg collecting aprons, etc. How about some pieces of old farm equipment, a small tractor, harrow, used tack or what have you, fresh fruits, vegetables, plants and trees, anything and everything farm related. Come on down to the swap. There are no fees. Everyone is welcome. It is supposed to be a nice day.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of hatching out some eggs when I have a young niece and nephew visiting in a few weeks - they will arrive on Easter Sunday! I could set some of my own, but if I could get some eggs from someone nearby of some breeds I've been wanting to get back in my flock, I would rather go that route. I need to set the eggs on Monday!

Here are a few breeds I'd really like - all large fowl:
Golden Cuckoo Marans (preferably clean legged)
Speckled Sussex
Golden-laced Wyandottes
Mottled Javas

I'd consider other colors of these breeds, or other large fowl breeds, too, but above are my preferences. I let the time creep up on me, so I don't have time to order eggs that have to come by mail.

If anyone in the Gainesville-Ocala area has hatching eggs they'd be willing to sell and I could pickup this weekend, please message me, or reply here!

Thanks! Jill

Hello Floridians! I'm a newbie here from Lake City, FL.
1f44d.png
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom