FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Getting my chicks in July, and I'm in Bradenton. Planning on a small coop, pre-made, that I will attach handles to so I can move it around my large backyard. Also going to repurpose two XXL dog crates from my days of breeding dobies, to create a large run, since the prefab run is way too small in my opinion. Looking forward to their arrival, and going to get everything ready before they arrive. New to chicken keeping, but not new to birds, I've had many since I was a child. Nice to meet all of you!

Hi fellow Floridian!
It's so exciting! Is the July date based on your preference or on seller availability? What breeds are you getting? :D

If you haven't bought it yet, please consider building your own. The prefabs come with problems including inadequate ventilation for any climate - but especially for Florida. The structures are short on the inside so once you cut out the necessary *feet* of ventilation up at the top where it should be, the roosts are then on a level with the vents which can allow them to get wet in storms with blowing rain, or too drafty on our few cold days.
The prefab coops are all too small for more than 2-3 hens. No matter what they say it can house.
The materials are also thin and often don't hold up.

On the other hand, if you build your own, an open-air coop design is perfect for our climate and keeps the birds much happier. The cost is about the same for a bigger, better result.
If you head on over to the Coops section of the forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/ - there are lots of experienced folks ready to help hash out designs.

Hi from Starke Florida! Have a small farm on just under 18 acres. So far my flock consists of 12 hens, one Cochin Roo, 12 6week old chicks (all mixed) and 10 American Bresse chicks that are 3 weeks old. 34 total. Waiting on 6 more American Bresse eggs and may hatch a few more of our barn yard mix eggs. Some turned out really beautiful! Cochin mixed with Americana (most beautiful), California whites, Rhode Island red, Buff Orphington and one lonely cute bantam!

I will be heading over to the Tampa coast this weekend.. might be interested in picking up some hatching eggs if any one has any available?? Standard size please.

I'm in Ocala, if that's on the way.

ATM, I have:
Genetic Hackle eggs
Orpaucana eggs (mottled English Orp roo over real Ameraucana)
Lavender Orpaucana chicks - 4 weeks old.
I just set a bunch from the pure Ameraucana pens so I'm not sure how many we will have by the weekend but can probably do a half dozen?

Hi fellow Floridians 👋
I have two hinny drakes that I would like to find loving homes for, located near St. Augustine. My 1st baby gave birth and raised 3 beautiful hinnies, one female and two males and as much as I want to keep my babygirl's first born, their Daddy will not have any of it. I want the boys to go to a loving home, either separately to join their own flock or go together, either way I want somewhere they won't become someone's food. Obviously these boys will not serve any other purpose than to be beautiful ducks to look at since they are sterile so, whoever takes them will have to be ok with them just being a loving pet and willing to let them live out their lives safe from predators and humans alike. The boys were born 01/15/2023 and have reached the size of their Dad (last picture) now. Based on how long Muscovies rear their young, April 8th will be the max time Momma will teach her babies. However, Momma is already pushing the babies away and she is more interested in spending her time with her husband than with the little ones and has started laying eggs again 3 days ago. If interested please let me know.

20230315_113635.jpg

20230315_221339.jpg

20230315_221320.jpg

20230225_174630.jpg

20230224_134741.jpg

20230219_101537.jpg

Screenshot_20230315_225043_Gallery.jpg

20230315_225121.jpg

20230315_225214.jpg

20230315_224137.jpg

Momma with the two boys
20230315_223204.jpg

Momma (Muscovy) & Daddy (Silver Appleyard/during winter molt)
20230315_221625.jpg

Daddy in breeding plumage
Screenshot_20221128_162513_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• 20230220_171708.jpg
    20230220_171708.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 1
balloons.gif

balloons.gif

Welcome to the Florida Chat Thread!!
Let's see how many BYC members are in FLORIDA!!
Visit our Member page & add yourself to our list:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Talk away Floridians or share pictures, and hope to see all of you some day at a swap. If you have stuff that you want to offer to your neighbors, you can post here too.
So happy to find this. I live in Mt Plymouth, Lake County, but right on the Orange County border... well pretty darn close!

Do you have black. I hope by breeding back to a black with good feather quality every other generation over time may help improve feather type on Lav. I have one Lav. Not sure of sex yet. He/She is 5 weeks. A pair of black would be a perfect start.
I do have 3 black hens and when I breed my blue rooster to my white frizzle hen they almost always have black chicks. The only rooster I have is the blue one though. The blacks I have are his daughters. Rooster just won grand at a show and one of the daughters won best feather leg hen

Back
Top Bottom