FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:
If Fanning Springs on the Suwanee river isn't too far north for you to go there's going to be a small show that's just for what you're needing to learn.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=571513

And for some specific online information then go here:

http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/

Specifically what you're looking for is in the library here: http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/educational_material.htm

Look in the "showmanship" section. It's broken down by age. The younger kids don't have to know as much as the older kids.

I so wish we weren't already commited to two other things on the 15th a fall festival parade for the youngest and a charity dog wash for the oldest or I would bring them up for that!

I did find the info on the youth site and now I'm feeling better about what to make sure they know for knowledge but I still can't find exact info on proper handling in showmanship. It says complete control and they know to pick the bird up using their hand and arm scooping under the birds breast and supporting between the legs with the hand. However what would be proper if the bird is flapping a bit can they keep the other hand on the back lightly to retain control. Do they stand the bird on something.. guess I need to keep searching and twisting up my wording until I find stuff like I finally did the youth site. I think part of the problem is I don't even know the proper terms so when I search it takes me forever to find the right wording to get answers.

This is all so new to us.. maybe we should just go watch in Nov. but I know the lil one will be disappointed. She's taking a break from her beauty pageants to show chickens and is so looking forward to actually starting.

Thank you so much for responding!​

Quote:
this is too cool..thx for setting it up!
thumbsup.gif

Your very welcome.Just waiting to buy a wireless cam. OMG Now I have to build another pen for the silkies.HELP!See Juan it didn't take 3 1/2 for you to see my chicks.Their trip was fast than what we can do driving.I think they are flying below the radar!
tongue2.gif
My hygrometer is really acting up on me.I hate when things don't work right.But like they say "You get what you pay for"

The pen/coop we built was specially for our silkies but now we don't have any (thanks to code enforcement)
already built and ready to load onto your trailer LOL
DSCF0006.jpg
Need to sell it fast before code enforcement starts fines

Quote:
C'mon on up to most any of the swaps. We have plenty of folks that show birds themselves that also sell. They can show you how to put a bird into a cage and take them back out again. Basic rule of thumb is that you always go head first with them. The birds do not like to go in or out backwards.

Lots of calm, gentle, handling will help with everything else.

Jump in. Everyone there wants the kids to do well and will be happy to give advice if you ask at the right moment.

How much?

Quote:
Your very welcome.Just waiting to buy a wireless cam. OMG Now I have to build another pen for the silkies.HELP!See Juan it didn't take 3 1/2 for you to see my chicks.Their trip was fast than what we can do driving.I think they are flying below the radar!
tongue2.gif
My hygrometer is really acting up on me.I hate when things don't work right.But like they say "You get what you pay for"

The pen/coop we built was specially for our silkies but now we don't have any (thanks to code enforcement)
already built and ready to load onto your trailer LOL http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/walkaboutjacks/Chicken Coop/DSCF0006.jpg Need to sell it fast before code enforcement starts fines

A.T. Hagan :

C'mon on up to most any of the swaps. We have plenty of folks that show birds themselves that also sell. They can show you how to put a bird into a cage and take them back out again. Basic rule of thumb is that you always go head first with them. The birds do not like to go in or out backwards.

Lots of calm, gentle, handling will help with everything else.

Jump in. Everyone there wants the kids to do well and will be happy to give advice if you ask at the right moment.

I'll have to try to get up that way.. we are just south of Ocala but a drive for good learning (or birds) is worth it.

I found this video today does this show an accurate way to handle. I think that is part of the other problem I'm having not being sure if the 4H way is the right way or if there is another way for real shows. I've found with horses that we've never bothered to show our horses in 4H because my daughter is a hunter/jumper/eventer and there are some things 4h does that she would never in a million years do.

Quote:
tongue2.gif

already built and ready to load onto your trailer LOL http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/walkaboutjacks/Chicken Coop/DSCF0006.jpg Need to sell it fast before code enforcement starts fines

Wow what a shame.don't they have anything better to do than to bother people that is trying to supply food for their family with prices of everything going sky high?
sad.png

Quote:
tongue2.gif

I've been lusting after it! No money here though. I hope you get the price your asking, it's well worth it!! Wonder though, why you don't carry it with you for when you can have your chickens in your new place?

Well everyone it's a sad day. We are rehoming our blue silkie rooster Jacob. I'd like to either trade him for a silkie or bantam hen so Claudie still has a friend, or just sell him for what we paid, $15. He's beautiful and friendly. He is very much a lap rooster, since he's been handled and loved since day one and I sit with him daily and just pet him. As loving and friendly as he is, our neighbors are getting upset over his crowing and I'd rather just have to rehome him than have someone do a noise complaint and make us get rid of both my chickens.

Quote:

I've been lusting after it! No money here though. I hope you get the price your asking, it's well worth it!! Wonder though, why you don't carry it with you for when you can have your chickens in your new place?

I wish! sadly not enough time before the fines begin...even thinking about taking payments LOLOL

Quote:

I wish! sadly not enough time before the fines begin...even thinking about taking payments LOLOL

How much are u selling the coop for?

Back
Top Bottom