FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

The TSC in N Lakeland had some horrible looking chicks and ducks a couple of weeks ago. Their pens were absolutely disgusting, feathers were all nasty looking. It was sad that they would let them get that way. We had been there a couple of times before and everything looked great.

Anyone close to me have a Golden Penciled Hamburg hen that they are looking to sell?

I stand corrected! I was in yesterday for feed and checked 'em out. The chicks for the most part were active and healthy looking. I saw two banties with poopy
bottoms, but the troughs they were in were absolutely horrifyingly disgusting. They were sitting in filth, those troughs will need powerwashing or scraping to get
that crap out it was sooooo gross. They must be stingy with the bedding. One pen didn't have any water at all and the others were mostly full of shavings. Of course, we all know that's hard to stay on top of. It was pretty early in the day though so you'd think they'd clean up after leaving them alone overnight and have them all fresh and pretty for the new day.

That said, no one in our area needs to buy chicks from TSC or any other store. There are so many people with healthy, well cared for chicks. We need to support
each other. At the Lakeland TSC, you're not going to find many exotic breeds to make it a must. Anything they have there, you can find right on here!

Steph, for a whole year my Husband looked at me like I was nuts. But that was before he made buddies with the two roos I hade. Then some of the hens would follow him and not leave him alone. He said to me one day a few years ago, "I thought you were nuts with these chickens, but you're not are you?"
hahaha!
D.gif

woo hoo!

I threw my back out tonight, so my husband had to put the chicks up tonight. He came in and said, "ok, I give. They are cute, you are right. I am sold". They were all piled up in front of the coop, and he had to pick them each up, and put them away. It was love at first cuddle.

So hubs is finally on board with the chickens!

lau.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
Definitely worth a shout! Now that he is on board, the skies are the limit. Almost worth the bad back. Hope you are feeling better.

Welcome to all the newbies!!!

I stand corrected! I was in yesterday for feed and checked 'em out. The chicks for the most part were active and healthy looking. I saw two banties with poopy
bottoms, but the troughs they were in were absolutely horrifyingly disgusting. They were sitting in filth, those troughs will need powerwashing or scraping to get
that crap out it was sooooo gross. They must be stingy with the bedding. One pen didn't have any water at all and the others were mostly full of shavings. Of course, we all know that's hard to stay on top of. It was pretty early in the day though so you'd think they'd clean up after leaving them alone overnight and have them all fresh and pretty for the new day.

That said, no one in our area needs to buy chicks from TSC or any other store. There are so many people with healthy, well cared for chicks. We need to support
each other. At the Lakeland TSC, you're not going to find many exotic breeds to make it a must. Anything they have there, you can find right on here!

That's exactly how it looked the day hubby and I went, but it was 1 in the afternoon. So sad to think they would let them roam around in that stuff. I definitely agree that we should all buy from each other. I would so much rather support local people in their chicken addictions.
wink.png

.......... no one in our area needs to buy chicks from TSC or any other store. There are so many people with healthy, well cared for chicks. We need to support

Local swaps are starting up. You may have to travel a bit - a lot of them seem to be in the Ocala area and north where Nava is pushing nekkid chickens. You will generally get better quality from breeders on here. Most on here know what a chicken is supposed to look like as well as what it is supposed to do! Plus, it helps those of us with a hatching addiction! I just love to hatch chicks, and I have a LOT of them!! ....stan

Alright guys, we might have an organic non-GMO feed person starting here in NE Florida. He's apparently in the producing and getting it ready stage, but said he should be within production in 2 months.

His idea is a high protein (45%) feed that should be supplemented heavily with vegetables to balance it all out. So it's more like a supplement than a full feed.

He's also talking about taking one where there's dried veggies already in it so it brings the protein down to 20%. He will have several versions available like most feed producers. It will have corn, but organic non GMO Florida grown corn and it will be soy free.

His estimated price is somewhere in the $20's for 50lbs of vacuum sealed feed.

Show your interest!!! His email is:
[email protected]
any updates on this?

Back
Top Bottom