FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I would love to see pics :) I am trying to do this simply and of course, as cheap as I can, but if it's not functional, then it's worthless. I was thinking about adding a door on the side to the model I posted, for getting to the chicken. Right now, I have to lift the whole run up just to get to them and I am SO over that....

I don't have a recent photo, just imagine this with a tarp over it. This was really cheap for me to do. I already had the dog pens and houses. Just had to buy 2x2's and wire which are not shown in this photo. It isn't fancy but it is home to a bunch of chickens.

thanks for the pics :)

See, we don't even have that-we really are backyard chicken people-we are in the county, but we have a shain link fence all the way around the property, and a dog in bad need of training (we start in 3 weeks) that would probably kill the chickens playing with them...We did, however, start with a dog crate for a coop :)

I am trying to avoid, if possible, a "tall" run, since it would almost double our building costs.

I would love to see pics :) I am trying to do this simply and of course, as cheap as I can, but if it's not functional, then it's worthless. I was thinking about adding a door on the side to the model I posted, for getting to the chicken. Right now, I have to lift the whole run up just to get to them and I am SO over that....

Have you considered a hoop coop? I use them for breeder pens and love them. Walk-in height, SUPER fast to build, and pretty cheap.

Last edited:
NicoleRM I am interested in how you made your hoops. Are they cattle panels or welded wire? I'm in need of a quick coop. My daughter bought 6 bantams at the feed store today. I'm in deep doo doo. I have all large fowl chickens.

The footprint is 8x8 and they are about 6 feet tall in the center. I use two cattle panels attached to a treated 2x4 bottom frame. We don't have predator issues so I use chicken wire to cover the panels and the fronts and backs. The doors are built from treated 1x4s. I screw the door frame to the 2x4s on the bottom and use wire to attach them at the top corners to the cattle panels. I mount a roost across the back and attach a small platform to it in the corner that I put a nest box on. I think it costs me about $150 to build one. Also, if you can find vinyl billboard tarps to cover the tops with instead of the regular blue or silver tarps, you'll save money in the long run. The regular tarps only last 6 months or so in the sun, even less if your turkeys like to roost on them and poke holes in them.
roll.png

The friend from who I got these birds says they're Show Quality Americanas. So I should take some photos of them to post here. I'm in western West Palm Beach, near Lion Country Safari. And don't have any plans to be traveling far from home, you'd have to come here. I *might* be meeting locally with some chickeneering buds who live in Okeechobee, they *might* be willing to take these birds home with them for you to pick up there.

Need advice, my little "Bitsy" who is supposed to be an OEggr only she is bantam size has decided that she wants to go broody. No roos here and I have tried the dunking her fuzzy butt in cold water. That works for a little while, then she is back sitting on the nest all the time. Question is how do I break her from going broody or does any one near Palm Bay have a few fertile eggs I can put under her? She is a sweet thing and I feel so bad putting her but in a bucket of water.

The best way I have found to break a broody is to change her address. Just move her to another pen for a week or so. ...stan

Need advice, my little "Bitsy" who is supposed to be an OEggr only she is bantam size has decided that she wants to go broody. No roos here and I have tried the dunking her fuzzy butt in cold water. That works for a little while, then she is back sitting on the nest all the time. Question is how do I break her from going broody or does any one near Palm Bay have a few fertile eggs I can put under her? She is a sweet thing and I feel so bad putting her but in a bucket of water.

Back
Top Bottom