FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi!

Im in Jacksonville, FL Duval County, North Florida
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Howdy!

I have a favor to ask... I picked up a GQF 1502 incubator over the weekend. It is the older wooden model with the wafer thermostat, not the new white, digital one. Living in Florida with our crazy humidity I was wondering if anyone who uses this model to hatch can give me some pointers on what the humidity should be during Days 1-18 and then what should I up it to for lockdown. Is it the same as using a smaller incubator? The very first hatch I did in my homemade incubator I did by the book and had soaking wet chicks and drowned a few too. After that I switched to the dry hatch method. Day 1-18 humidity was mid to high 30's and then 55-60% during lockdown. Chicks were damp, fluffed up within a few hours and my hatch rate greatly improved. I would like to continue using the dry hatch method and any info would be appreciated.

I have the same incubator. I did change the thermostat to an electronic one and I changed the door and put a clear poly door on. I got a deal on the water pail and love that too. I love it and once I set it, it stays put. I do check on it daily.

My hatchery.

I have the same incubator. I did change the thermostat to an electronic one and I changed the door and put a clear poly door on. I got a deal on the water pail and love that too. I love it and once I set it, it stays put. I do check on it daily.

My hatchery.

Love your setup! Where did you buy the brooder? That thing is neat!

I don't hatch in my cabinet incubator. I did in the beginning but now I use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers.

This is my homade incubator. I used the wafer thermostat that I took out of my cabinet incubator.

I used 2 15 watt bulbs for the heat source. It works good. I put a pie plate in the bottom
with a sponge for the humidity.

Has anyone ever been to this farm sale in Fellsmere? I've seen several ads for it recently.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/grd/3275719604.html
I took a chance on Saturday and drove 90 miles to this. There were at the most only 4 vendors with just a couple of chickens each (roos) and most of them were pushing Turkeys. One vendor had some good looking full blood RIR chicks, but we were looking for older pullets.

Someone please send me a PM if you have a few 3 month old or older BCMs or maybe an Austrolorpe you can sell me!

I have two Dominique pullets you can have for cheep...they are younger than 3 months though. I am 99% certain they are pullets as I bought them as pre-sexed chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom