FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I recently put a few eggs in an incubator. I'm doing a test hatch on my Heritage RIRs. Can't wait for the chicks to hatch. Candled eggs today and saw movement.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hey Stan I am still interested in a few of these pullets. Are the girls done molting? Any eggs yet?
Most of my hens are over the moult, but not laying. Looks like they may not start back up un til spring. That's one of the down sides with these heritage birds. As for the pullets, I have 7 or 8 available that are a little over 4 months old. Not sure how many of them are spoken for but I have someone that has said they want some. I really don't expect to have fertile eggs till spring though.....stan

The entry deadline is this coming Monday October 29th. All entries must be postmarked by Monday October 29th.

Central Florida Breeders Association Double Point Poultry Show
Saturday November 10, 2012
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
3610 S Florida Ave,
Inverness, FL 34450
---> MAP
Citrus County Auditorium
Ken Lee
352-794-3643 after 6PM
[email protected]
Show Catalog (Sorry I couldn't get the catalog better. My printer isn't printing right)
Entry form

Last edited:
I have a health question that I will probably be asked to move to the proper section but since so many things are different here in Florida I am taking my chances by posting it here first.I have a BIG Jersey Giant or maybe shes an austrolprp given she is short.Either way she is a bit over a year old and suddenly she is leaking...urine? (the white stuff) just drips out as she walks along.I noticed it about 3 days ago.Now with the storm approaching I noticed her breathing is a bit off.Not labored but she is putting more effort into her inward breaths.I even wondered about egg bound so I got out the glove and checked.I have never checked a bird of this size (shes an easy 10 pounds) I didnt feel anything but she seems to strain from time to time.Any ideas where to start???
Christy

I have a health question that I will probably be asked to move to the proper section but since so many things are different here in Florida I am taking my chances by posting it here first.I have a BIG Jersey Giant or maybe shes an austrolprp given she is short.Either way she is a bit over a year old and suddenly she is leaking...urine? (the white stuff) just drips out as she walks along.I noticed it about 3 days ago.Now with the storm approaching I noticed her breathing is a bit off.Not labored but she is putting more effort into her inward breaths.I even wondered about egg bound so I got out the glove and checked.I have never checked a bird of this size (shes an easy 10 pounds) I didnt feel anything but she seems to strain from time to time.Any ideas where to start???
Christy
Make sure it is not sticky and sickly sweet smelling...if so then it is probably vent gleet. If not then I would start with a warm soak and see if that helps any (usually does if it is an egg issue unless it is peritonitis (sp?)

LOL! Thank goodness the blinds are closed.It doesnt smell sweet,just smells like chicken.Soak her huh? Like in the bath tub?Guess I could do that.The steam may make her breathing a bit easier.
I got a pm saying it was probably an oviduct infection,use duramycin,and worm her just in case....
Thanks Christy

ok so out of 14, 13 hatched 6 of them where shipped eggs which was the partridge cochin here is what i came out with.....

2 blue

3 black

1 white that looks like it has paint colors

then i also got this odd one..

plus the 6 partridge cochin.........

Hi there! We're between Plant City and Brandon.

My daughter (9) started the chicken (&duck) math and we've been partners ever since. We have a flock of all sorts, and a few too many roosters. (Anyone need a nice RIR? Caught "Annie" crowing this morning. Sigh.) She has 3 Peking ducks, a pair of NNs, one buff and one blue Orphington hen, 5 mutt game bird hens (one is 1/2 RIR that we hatched), some Aracana/BR crosses, and I'm sure I'm missing one... hm. On the daughter's list are some more ducks- I really thought I'd hate them and they'd be a huge mess, but I just think they are so cute. The two that went got blue ribbons at the county fair last week along with the buff Orph hen. I want a few dark egg laying hens in the spring, and my 5 yr old wants a bantam something he can show at the state fair. He really wants a rooster. Just what I need. Another rooster. They all free range during the day, but we have a pen that we used to have silkies in that we would keep any bantams in unless we were supervising.

I was hoping to be able to take DD to the show in Inverness, but things are a bit to tight to drive the gas-guzzler all that way this month.

Back
Top Bottom