FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

Jacksonville said they really don't care unless there is a problem with neighbors, but he suggested no roosters, noting that roosters are not needed for eggs. (Since he offered that on his own, I figure that misconception is still out there).

Jacksonville said they really don't care unless there is a problem with neighbors, but he suggested no roosters, noting that roosters are not needed for eggs. (Since he offered that on his own, I figure that misconception is still out there).
Many people who have never raised chickens believe roosters are needed for eggs. Even some whose families raised them when they were kids 'assumed' they needed roosters...my husband was one of those..

I can't find a "goat" page for NSB or Volusia County in general. Can anyone provide the ordinances or governing rules on the keeping of goats on residential land in NSB and/or Volusia County?

I live in Pace, Santa Rosa County. I checked about a year ago and was told by the county they don't care. However they said to look at 4 digits in my tax ID and that will tell what subdivision I live in. Then look up that subdivision to see if there are restrictions.  Well my Tax ID had 0000 which means no subdivision. I think this maybe  correct, a lady on the next street has a bunch of ducks. I can hear them from my house.  So I think I'm OK.

I'm in Pace also & all my neighbors have chickens and roosters. I've been told there are no rules because this is farm country.

Indian River county in vero beach can have up to 4. No chickens from my understanding in the city of vero. All my neighbors are great about my hens I have. My coop is nice to look at and extremely clean so no smell.
thumbsup.gif

Hope I'm not repeating what's been said but I'm not going to read all 4 pages.

Tallahassee allows chickens but there is something about not being close enough to other properties to be a nuisance (might apply only to roosters) and suggests 400 feet but that's only a suggestion.

No problem in Leon County. Need to be something like 40 feet from the property line.

See this thread re Broward County.

St. Augustine seems to be over-run with feral chickens including roosters. Don't know how that affects the local law but anyone moving there might get more chickens than they wanted.

Last edited:
Volusia County

Sec. 72-290. Additional regulations for certain permitted principal uses.
The following additional regulations shall apply to specific permitted principal uses in all classifications where so permitted:
(10) Farm animals and fowl. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor, breed or maintain upon any premises not zoned for agricultural use or otherwise excepted in accordance with this article, any of the following: Bees, roosters, peacocks, horses, ponies, cattle, goats, pigs or other livestock, or more than one of the following: Pigeons, chickens, ducks or other fowl. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be liable in accordance with subsection 72-341(f).

I have been searching all day for laws and regulations in Sanford,FL. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it turns out that is not legal how would I go about changing the law? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom