FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

Well, my aunt lives in Forest Hills, and she looked around and it said you could have them, but they had to be confined to X amount of feet away from the edge of your property, and it was some rediculous amount.

Quote:
Same thing here. You must live near me lol. I think we were originally in Dinsmore but Jacksonville took it over to get taxes or something.
We have 3+ acres and supposedly can have roosters, horses, and whatever we want but one of our nieghbors keeps coming over here whining about he doesn't like the looks of the geese (we don't have geese they are muscovies lol) or he can't stand this or that. I told him if he didnt look or keep coming into our yard he wouldn't have to see them lol.
I really don't know why these kind of people move to zones deemed for animals when they hate them. Mine stay in my own yard and we have a larger property than they do too but he still complains. I try to be nice to keep the peace but he is really annoying. He thinks he is gonna change the zoning. I think he is gonna have a hard time because half the people on our street have horses, goats, roosters, guineas, etc.

Last edited:
Mine stay in my own yard and we have a larger property than they do too but he still complains. I try to be nice to keep the peace but he is really annoying. He thinks he is gonna change the zoning. I think he is gonna have a hard time because half the people on our street have horses, goats, roosters, guineas, etc.

Ditto here in unincorporated Brevard County, FL. We have 2 acres and the fella whose property is not adjacent to us is pulling this same crap. He wants to make this Rural Residential neighborhood just like a Condo Association where a board can tell you what color to paint your front door.

While he's talking and calling Code Enforcement on us we're working to change code to allow homesteading in the traditional sense - when did this get taken away from us?​

I don't know what the ordinance is for all of Pinellas, but with in the city of St. Pete you are allowed to have hens. I do not believe there is currently a limit. However, the law states that you have to get the approval from every house within 100 feet of your property line. Sort of a stupid law - and completely makes you feel like a 5 year old (though I did have some great conversations and met my neighbors). I mean seriously, can you imagine going door to door and asking your neighbors if you can get a puppy?

My FIL lives on S Sanford Ave and recently built his large run. He's on 2.5+ acres, but I don't know the zoning, or if he's actually "in" the City of Sanford. He's also doing aqua-culture, too.

Sleepy, your FIL must either live in a county pocket within the city limits (there are some), live just outside the city limits, or is flying under the radar.

Any way you look at it, I hope he is successful in his endeavors, and has nice, Non-complaining neighbors. I am seriously thinking of putting in a fish tank in my back yard. There is no code addressing fish in my town.
cool.png

New to chickens here in the Burg, well, we had them as children and now decided it was time to get some as adults..been wanting to for a few years, but this year made the decision. My son would say "I don't want to be known as the "chicken farmer kid" mom" now that we have them, he's wanting the first egg. And since he's home schooling right now, he has been enjoying sitting out in the backyard in the mornings before he starts school and watching them.

Haven't had any neighbors complain, most have asked if we have any Roo's, because they would 'love' to hear a rooster crowing in the mornings..

the elderly couple that lives behind us love that we don't have a 6' wooden fence because they enjoy sitting at their kitchen table in the mornings drinking their coffee and watching our hens run around the back yard..another neighbor has started coming over to sit in the backyard to drink coffee and chatter as we watch the girls run around the yard, and one of my other neighbors gave us a bag of chicken food--their daughter was caring for a baby duck that got eaten so they brought us the bag of food they had bought for her (when the hens start laying..THEY will most certainly get some eggs).

Someone recently gave me some loofah seeds which I planted those this week, I don't think they would be toxic for chickens since they are a gourd vegetable.

Sleepy71,

you said your father in law does aqua culture, does he have an aquaponics system? if so could you post pictures?

My husband wants to build one in our backyard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom