Florida White Meat Rabbits

linebacker

Songster
15 Years
Nov 6, 2007
North West Tennessee
Does anyone on BYC raise the Florida White rabbits? I am in the process of planning my quail barn and have decided to include meat rabbits on one end. IF not Florida whites then any suggestions on another medium sized meat variety. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

I dont raise Florida Whites But the Meat rabbits I do raise are
Satins in various colors
Silver Fox and Palomino and darned few NewZelands.

Medium meat rabbits are anything 10 lbs and under as an adult.
Silver Fox have a 65 % meat to bone ratio unlike most oter meat breeds. which means at dress out you get more meat to bone .

New Zelands have 50 /50%
Palomino about 50/50% meat to bone ratio

Any medium boned rabbit makes a good meat rabbit.
Smaller breeds are a good size for one person.

Large breed rabbits such as Flemish Giants, French Lops( also a utility rabbit) English Lops, the larger Angora breeds( both meat and fiber) all have more bone to meat ratio.
The best suggestion I can give for meat production though is any Satin or New Zeland crosses.
The shoulders and loin on both rabbits will increase the amount of meat to bone.

ARBA has a website and some good books for sale that are of huge help to beginners of meat production.
http://www.arba.net/

Hope tis helps some.
ARBA also has a breed section that shows pictures of the different breeds, The hardest part of raising rabbits is chosing the breed you want to live with.

Last edited:
I raise Californian white rabbits. They have a finer bone and good meat.

I also have a german hybrid angora for fiber. I am considering crossing him with one of my calli does to see if I get any long haired whites for harvesting fiber.

Thanks for the replies and the info!

gypsy -- what is the satin's live weight at harvest?

My real concern about colored rabbits is the whole cute factor. If my wife keeps making pets out of everything before long I'll have to start charging admission and open a zoo!

Thanks
Brad

Quote:
Are there any rabbits that don't have the tiny bones? I ate a new zealand white today, but it had tiny bones like a fish. Undesirable to have to pick through those. Thanks for your post.

The Florida white is the perfect rabbit for backyard meat production. The F.W. is only 4-6 lbs. and usually dresses at 10 weeks as well as a 8 week old, Californian or New Zealand, and were produced for about half the cost and in half the space, of the larger breeds. Florida Whites' are docile, good mothers, friendly, they have nice pelts.... There is absolutely no way you can go wrong if you choose them as a pet, for show, or as a meat rabbit!!!
I posted a review of the breed on Right Pet, if anyone would like more info. about this wonderful breed. I have owned/bred/showed many breeds of rabbits, for over 30 years. I love the Florida for meat production and it's easygoing personality. For anyone considering commercial production using this breed, first check and verify the buyer will accept them, due to their smaller size.

I raise Californian white rabbits. They have a finer bone and good meat.

I also have a german hybrid angora for fiber. I am considering crossing him with one of my calli does to see if I get any long haired whites for harvesting fiber.

You will not get long haired whites your first generation. They will all be short haired rabbits. If you cross those offspring you will get back to long hair, or if you cross back into the angora parent. However:

You will get a much coarser more gaurd hair filled texture and coat that will not be prime for spinning. Once you start crossing back in you also run the risk of creating an overly cottony coat. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this cross? For meat? For fiber? If you want fiber you'd have to go with an angora. If you want meat stick with your meat rabbits. Producing an efficient meat carcass from a wooled rabbit would be annoying and difficult at best. I know people eat their culls but A LOT of energy and resources go into producing wool, not flesh.

Hi,

Thanks for your post - I just got a trio of FW from a great breeder in Fresno. Looking forward to raising these, I had Tans before and just don't like having to deal with scratched up arms!!!! Plus the FW will be great for meat too. I appreciate your feedback!

do you have that person in fresno for the flordia whites my female died and need another one for our breeding program thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your post - I just got a trio of FW from a great breeder in Fresno. Looking forward to raising these, I had Tans before and just don't like having to deal with scratched up arms!!!! Plus the FW will be great for meat too. I appreciate your feedback!

do you have the breeder in fresno's info i lost my female and need another one for my breeding program thanks

Back
Top Bottom