Floyd's new behavior

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
Floyd my Buff laced polish frizzle is around 3 months old.
He was raised with Pixie my silkie and Daphne my polish since about 1 week old and are always together
( I have 2 other bantam's roos a year old, 4 year old NH red hen, 4 month old light Brahma and golden laced wyandotte girls)

So my NH red and one of my roos are always together,
jinx my other bantam roo, has been trying to flirt with my light Brahma, doesn't pay much attention to the others, she wants nothing to do with him as she is still a baby, even though she is 3x his size
My 3 littlest always stay together
and my light brahma and golden laced wyn stay together

So whew.. now that i said all that.
today I noticed while I was tucking them all in the coop for the night
Floyd, just didn't seem to want anything to do with Pixie and Daphne, they are always with him, they rely on him for comfort.
So Daphne comes up to me (where she was standing in the coop is chest height) so she cuddles into my chest. and pixie just keeps peeping if I pick her up she cuddles into my neck

I noticed floyd also has been being mean to Pixie tonight too, just grabbing at her kind of rough, she was pecking at Daphne before, but I thought that was just normal pecking order stuff.

Their coop is an old wooden shed so it has rafters, I could tell he was trying really hard to figure out how to get up there, the looking, up bobbing his head as if about to jump.
he didn't figure it out, so he walks up to me, (again the place he was standing is chest height) so I can tell he wants to try and jump on my head. he gave up on that.
finally he jumped up on one of the nesting boxes, which is on the area he is standing on, so it's up high, and he was looking up in the corner of the coop trying to figure out how to get up there.
He finally gave up all together and stayed on top of the nesting box (plastic bin I made into a nesting box)
he laid as far over to the wall as possible, just wanted to be there by himself.

He's 3-4 months old, and actually started to try and crow at only a few weeks old, and he's done it since then, not often though

What do you think is up with him?
sorry that was so long, just wanted to give you an idea of his living situation and such.

floydd2.jpg

Too much information is always better here than not enough.

I would venture to guess that Floyd is getting a hormone or two, and he's starting to feel like a little stud. He's a ways away from knowing exactly what he's going to do with his new hormones, but he's starting to experiment by getting a bit rough with his mates.

Hormones also will start to change the way a young cockerel views hens and pullets. It can be confusing for a little boy, and he's apt to make a pest and a fool out of himself during the quest to find his new role and then try to fit into it.

He's quite a stunning little guy.

Thanks guys, he seems to be back with the ladies this morning.
I think like you said hormones.
I went through hormones with my 5 kids they are grown now.. and now i go through it with my chickens LOL

Back
Top Bottom