Fluffed up chicken w/gray spots by Eye

Is her crop full and hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Is she drinking well? If her crop is hard, I would not feed her, but give lots of water. If it is puffy soft, she could have some egg. Usually coccidiosis effects young birds, but she could possibly have it. Corid is safe to use, even if she doesn’t have that. Have you wormed her recently?

Is her crop full and hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Is she drinking well? If her crop is hard, I would not feed her, but give lots of water. If it is puffy soft, she could have some egg. Usually coccidiosis effects young birds, but she could possibly have it. Corid is safe to use, even if she doesn’t have that. Have you wormed her recently?
It's kinda doughy. I've been massaging it, but hasn't seemed to make a difference. I haven't wormed my flock besides 2 seperate treatments for Coccidiosis. (I've used Albon & Corid)

I'll start her up on Corid- how much can I give her orally? Also, what should I use for deworming?

You could try giving her some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces then offer them to her, 1-2 tsp per day. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. Continue to massage the doughy crop several times a day until it clears. Have you ever had your vet do a fecal float to confirm coccidiosis? Corid is to be put into the water, 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water. You can give 0.5 ml orally of undiluted Corid once a day as a boost. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days is a good wormer. You could also use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You could try giving her some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces then offer them to her, 1-2 tsp per day. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. Continue to massage the doughy crop several times a day until it clears. Have you ever had your vet do a fecal float to confirm coccidiosis? Corid is to be put into the water, 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water. You can give 0.5 ml orally of undiluted Corid once a day as a boost. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days is a good wormer. You could also use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Ok, thank you! Should I continue to withhold food until it clears?

I would let her have fluids and a little egg or wet feed.
Will do. Thank you!

Also, she just passed this stool...
20230121_190131.jpg

I agree, I'd address the crop symptoms according to the article that @Eggcessive linked. Those are the methods I use to treat my own hens if necessary.

Sometimes a crop problem is an indication of an underlying condition so treating for worms and coccidiosis are steps that you can take to see if these make a difference.

When I have a hen that is poorly and has a crop problem, I don't withhold food/water during waking hours. They definitely need to stay hydrated and I've found that mine will usually self limit feed on their own. Giving food is up to you, but I would make water available for her.

She may be having some reproductive difficulties, but hopefully she'll rally with some treatment and TLC.

She's still passing the same stool... her crop has gone down though after the Miconozol treatment! She pecks at her food, but doesn't really seem to be intrested in eating or drinking lately. I've been syringe feeding her some plain Greek yogurt with boiled egg yolk mixed in, but she's still passing the same stool as above despite the Corid treatments. She also hasn't laid an egg :/

Glad that her crop is going down.Is she drinking enough of the Corid water and getting the boost? I would agree with Wyorp Rock that she might be suffering from a reproductive disorder, and that could cause the yellow green liquid in her droppings. It might also be that she is not eating enough.

Glad that her crop is going down.Is she drinking enough of the Corid water and getting the boost? I would agree with Wyorp Rock that she might be suffering from a reproductive disorder, and that could cause the yellow green liquid in her droppings. It might also be that she is not eating enough.
She was drinking over the past few days, but as of yesterday, doesn't seem all that intrested anymore... thankfully,, she's alert and walking around and actually just jumped up on my bathroom counter lol.
Besides syringe feeding, I've been offering her a variety of food, but she seems picky? She just scratches through the dry feed, isn't intrested in any cooked rice or egg, and definitely won't touch the yogurt by herself... guess it's too gooey? Should I try to slowly syringe water into her? Or would SubQ be a better option..? (I really hope not😖)

Back
Top Bottom