Fluffed up chicken w/gray spots by Eye

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
I noticed Ruth, my 10mos LO, fluffed up earlier today. I went to check her and noticed one of her eyes were closed but there's no significant swelling or noticeable injuries. She can open the eye, just seems to prefer keeping it closed. I also noticed these grayish brown spots on her eyelid and by her ears... any idea what this could be?
Screenshot_20230120-184051_Motion photo viewer.jpg
Screenshot_20230120-184001_Motion photo viewer.jpg

I've given her some stuff to boost her immune system and 1.5cc Poultry Cell to help perk her up. She still has appetite as she was intrested in some treats offered to her. I believe she also laid an egg (though it looked smaller than usual?)
Any suggestions on how to treat her?

Screenshot_20230120-180344_Motion photo viewer.jpg

@Wyorp Rock & @Eggcessive

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me and for all your help. Unfortunately, my poor baby passed earlier this evening... she started throwing up, and while I tried to help clear her mouth she sadly didn't make it. After all the crying and cleaning settled down, I did notice that amongst the vomit there was some hard, cheese like stuff that I'm guessing is pus? Obviously, after throwing up everything and passing, the crop was completely flat/empty. I'm afraid I don't have the funds to do a necropsy, but I was just curious if anyone may know what caused the pus. Was it the whole reason for the blockage? Thank you both again.

Attachments

• 20230125_234456.jpg
    20230125_234456.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230125_234500.jpg
    20230125_234500.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 2
It looks like mucus in her dropping, but could be egg whites. Tail down could be a reproductive disorder, especially if she laid a very small egg. She still needs to eat something during the daytime besides the coconut oil. Egg, mushy wet feed, plain unsweetened yogurt. Encourage drinking water. Recheck the crop in the morning. You could also insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for another egg.

Is her crop full and hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Is she drinking well? If her crop is hard, I would not feed her, but give lots of water. If it is puffy soft, she could have some egg. Usually coccidiosis effects young birds, but she could possibly have it. Corid is safe to use, even if she doesn’t have that. Have you wormed her recently?

I agree, I'd address the crop symptoms according to the article that @Eggcessive linked. Those are the methods I use to treat my own hens if necessary.

Sometimes a crop problem is an indication of an underlying condition so treating for worms and coccidiosis are steps that you can take to see if these make a difference.

When I have a hen that is poorly and has a crop problem, I don't withhold food/water during waking hours. They definitely need to stay hydrated and I've found that mine will usually self limit feed on their own. Giving food is up to you, but I would make water available for her.

She may be having some reproductive difficulties, but hopefully she'll rally with some treatment and TLC.

Sometimes when the crop is not emptying, they will self limit how much they eat.
I'd make sure she's drinking well. Offer her her normal feed.

You're giving the Miconazole twice a day correct? Keep doing that for 7 days even if she's showing improvement.

@Wyorp Rock & @Eggcessive

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me and for all your help. Unfortunately, my poor baby passed earlier this evening... she started throwing up, and while I tried to help clear her mouth she sadly didn't make it. After all the crying and cleaning settled down, I did notice that amongst the vomit there was some hard, cheese like stuff that I'm guessing is pus? Obviously, after throwing up everything and passing, the crop was completely flat/empty. I'm afraid I don't have the funds to do a necropsy, but I was just curious if anyone may know what caused the pus. Was it the whole reason for the blockage? Thank you both again.
I'm sorry for your loss... I know how much you love your birds, and I know you did the best you could for her

That looks like pus to me. She must've had a severe infection. Poor thing.

She might have been pecked around her eye. Is she acting off or lethargic? I would flush her eye with saline and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day into her eye. Try to get her eating and drinking. Is she acting normally otherwise? Does she normally get picked on or is she low in pecking order?

I've given her some stuff to boost her immune system and 1.5cc Poultry Cell to help perk her up. She still has appetite as she was intrested in some treats offered to her. I believe she also laid an egg (though it looked smaller than usual?)
Any suggestions on how to treat her?
What is stuff to boost her immune system? Product name?

Get some photos of her poop.

I agree, it looks like she may have been pecked on the skin around her eye or it may just be dirt.
See that she's eating/drinking well and check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

What is stuff to boost her immune system? Product name?

Get some photos of her poop.

I agree, it looks like she may have been pecked on the skin around her eye or it may just be dirt.
See that she's eating/drinking well and check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Collidal Silver. I've been giving it to all my animals for years. I tried rubbing off the spots but they seem to be skin discoloration. I've brought her inside so I can keep a closer eye on her. I try and get some fecal photos as well

Back
Top Bottom