Fluffed up older hen

Does she still eat fairly normal? Althou My hen wouldnt get off her nest for nothing when broody not even to eat i had to go and shove her off to go and dust herself and grab a bite to eat, If shes not in her box she may not be broody, They also usually go broody before they stop laying their eggs.

Update: No mites, she's out of the box walking around, and I have no idea what a crop should feel like. She has been eating and drinking water, just not as excited about it as normal. She's still fluffed up and a bit slower than usual.

Is this normal for older hens that may be nearing the end? I've been told by a few people that have had chickens for years that she looks very old. When she stopped laying six months ago I just thought it was her time to stop and retire from egg laying.

Update: No mites, she's out of the box walking around, and I have no idea what a crop should feel like. She has been eating and drinking water, just not as excited about it as normal. She's still fluffed up and a bit slower than usual.

Is this normal for older hens that may be nearing the end? I've been told by a few people that have had chickens for years that she looks very old. When she stopped laying six months ago I just thought it was her time to stop and retire from egg laying.
As hens age they will not lay as much as they used too when they were pullets and young hens (hens will stop laying for other reasons too). I have a 5yr hen who only lays about 3 eggs in the month of Feb every year now.

Her crop shouldn't be hard. If you squish it some, you can feel some food and liquid. (A good sign). Usually crops fill up and are very prominent in the evening because the chickens are chowing down on food for the night. If it is still very full in the morning, she could have trouble digesting her food.

Back
Top Bottom