Fluffy chicken?

wanheda

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2018
Hi everyone. This is my first time on this website so if I'm in the wrong section I'll move it to where it belongs. A while ago my cousin decided to buy some chickens so he went to the local feed store and chose three random chicks. The workers to do him they weren't able to tell him what breed they were. After a few weeks and then doubling in size he realized he didn't have the space they needed so I ended up taking then in. It's the first time I own chickens, I'm still trying to learn but I love them. One of them is all white and huge but I don't have pictures just now. My question is about the other two. They're about six months old and about half the size of chickens I've seen and don't seem to be growing much anymore, but I could be wrong. One of them also has curly(?) feathers and I'd never seen that before. I was wondering if somebody could tell me what breed they are. These are the best pictures I have but I can try to get more. I'll also try to get pictures of the big, all white one. Oh, & these probably aren't the greatest pictures for it but if anyone can give their best guess for the sex that'd be amazing. Again, I hope this is in the right place. Thanks in advance!
6A5F63AA-210C-4205-B040-F3845C58844F.jpeg
901E2F3D-EB46-4283-9395-D19BB0213412.jpeg
3A168450-5012-47CD-A53B-8AB2E37FE253.jpeg
6E9D0FA9-9D9C-4A46-B37C-BE4BA24AB265.jpeg
8F84B20F-B112-4BC7-B157-D4148A863687.jpeg

The black one is a frizzled cochin bantam pullet and the white one is a brahma bantam cockerel.
I agree, although I’m not sure on the sexes. If you’re a little confused, bantam means “tiny”, or “midget”. They will be much smaller than regular breeds and take up less space. Frizzle is the type of feather on the black one.

Edit to add: Also it is the right section for the post :)

The black is a bantam frizzle, probably cochin. Frizzle feathering is what you mean by curly, and they are much rarer than smooth feathered chickens. She is female.

That literally is what I meant. I don't know why the word didn't come to mind considering we've been calling her Ms. Frizzle as soon as we noticed the feathers. Thanks!

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies so quickly. I had no idea where to start. So am I right in thinking they probably won't grow much anymore? He got all three chicks at once but the third grew to like twice their size in like a week and a half. Thank you all for your help!

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies so quickly. I had no idea where to start. So am I right in thinking they probably won't grow much anymore? He got all three chicks at once but the third grew to like twice their size in like a week and a half. Thank you all for your help!
Yes by six months they are nearly fully grown. They will continue to grow and develop more until around a year old but the size increase will not be that noticeable from now on.

Yep, I agree with the other ones: Your little black one is a Black Frizzled Cochin Bantam pullet/hen, and I guess your white one is a Light Brahma Bantam cockerel/rooster. :)
Lovely birds, by the way! (It actually surprises me that there was a frizzled one at a feed store, though I know they aren't really frizzled as chicks).

Back
Top Bottom