Fluid above chicken leg?

coatsra

Chirping
Oct 5, 2020
My daughter picked up one of the chickens and noticed that it’s side above the leg area was swollen. I checked her today and there is like fluid that moves around right there. I circled the area that it’s at. It feels like sour croup (air and fluid) just in the wrong spot. She seems fine otherwise and is eating. Can someone help me. Thank you so much.
81A76095-959F-463F-A6AF-60176106FBB0.jpeg

I would check her all over and make sure she doesn't have any other spots like that.
Could you possibly get a picture of it?

Thanks for responding! She is good everywhere else. I’ll try to get a picture, just kinda hard with all the feathers, I don’t even see a spot where it could be an infection bite etc. So weird!

Thanks for responding! She is good everywhere else. I’ll try to get a picture, just kinda hard with all the feathers, I don’t even see a spot where it could be an infection bite etc. So weird!
Oh yes, definitely hard to get pictures with all those feathers, I understand! I was just thinking pictures might help.
I was thinking it could be an air pocket, which is from a ruptured air sac.

Oh yes, definitely hard to get pictures with all those feathers, I understand! I was just thinking pictures might help.
I was thinking it could be an air pocket, which is from a ruptured air sac.
Thank you for responding!! I’ll try to get one tomorrow a better look at the skin. This is actually exactly what it sounds like. She is eating fine. I’m reading to let it heal and one to pop it with a needle? If this is the case what would you recommend? I’m wondering if a door on the coop closed on her or some type of trauma. I have never heard of it but definitely is the closest thing I could find.

Thank you for responding!! I’ll try to get one tomorrow a better look at the skin. This is actually exactly what it sounds like. She is eating fine. I’m reading to let it heal and one to pop it with a needle? If this is the case what would you recommend? I’m wondering if a door on the coop closed on her or some type of trauma. I have never heard of it but definitely is the closest thing I could find.
Since she's acting fine otherwise, I would leave it alone for now and let it heal.
If it gets bigger, then you should probably pop it.

Here's a thread about ruptured air sacs.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ruptured-air-sac-subcutaneous-emphysema.1432594/

Back
Top Bottom