Hen w/Clear Fluid & "Honking" Sound

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Hey Y'All,

I have a Satin Silkie, "Tina T", at approximately 8.5 months old. She has started having some clear fluid discharge coming from her mouth, and has been doing some type of "honking" sound. Her crop feels empty. She has food and water in the crate that I have her quarantined in, but honestly I'm not sure how much she's eating/drinking due to I work Monday thru Friday 8-4, but I do check on her once I get home. Her eyes don't look like they have any discharge or puffiness to them neither. She does have a foul smell around her head area though. (probably the clear fluid). I tried to look in her mouth last night, but she wasn't having it, and I don't know the best way to keep her head still and didn't want to hurt her, so not sure if she has any lesions in her mouth/throat area. If someone can help and tell me the best way to keep her head still in order for me to do this, I will try. Does anybody know what may be wrong with my baby girl? She's a really sweet girl, and I want to do anything I can that will help her feel/get better. I do have SOME things on hand already at home such as diatomaceous earth, apple cider vinegar WITH the mother, coconut oil, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, hydro-hen, electrolyte and probiotic packets, etc. I do not have any antibiotics for chickens though. If there is something that will work without me having to take to a vet, then I would rather do that, due to the fact that, where I live doesn't really have a lot of vets that will treat chickens. Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
Smith's Fluffy Butts Moma

Attachments

• Tina T.jpg
    Tina T.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 23
A foul odor in this instance could possibly indicate that she has canker inside her mouth. You're going to have to open her mouth and look for lesions inside her mouth and the entrance to her esophagus/trachea to verify if it's canker. It might be best to go out and night and look inside her mouth with a flashlight. Perhaps you can have someone hold her for you while you open her mouth. Pull down on the skin below her lower beak with your thumb and finger and her mouth will open. Let us know what you see.

A foul odor in this instance could possibly indicate that she has canker inside her mouth. You're going to have to open her mouth and look for lesions inside her mouth and the entrance to her esophagus/trachea to verify if it's canker. It might be best to go out and night and look inside her mouth with a flashlight. Perhaps you can have someone hold her for you while you open her mouth. Pull down on the skin below her lower beak with your thumb and finger and her mouth will open. Let us know what you see.
Okay thank you so much. I will try that. I did check on her Saturday, and I noticed that I didn't smell that smell like I did the other day. I will still check her to be on the safe side though. Thank you so much for explaining how to open her mouth. I know that might seem like a simple task, but I didn't want to hurt her from her thrashing around because of her not wanting me messing with her. Thank you for not criticizing me or making me feel stupid for what some would think would be easy task. Some people, not necessarily on here, but like on the FB chicken groups/animal groups, can be very rude and mean, and criticize people because they ask a question, which to some people may seem like common sense, and it is sometimes, but people have to learn. Thank you. One more question...if she does have canker/thrush, what can I give her/do for her to help her? Thank you so much.

Smiths Fluffy Butts Moma

Canker can be treated with Metronidazole. I dont recommend giving it to her unless she actually has it. Acidified copper sulfate will treat it also, but I recommend it as a last resort.
Canker causes birds to become carriers of the disease for life and can spread it via waterers. I always recommend that it's best to cull canker infected birds.

You can cradle a bird in your forearm, then with your free hand, pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. If she shakes her head, hang on and she will tire out. Then you can inspect inside the mouth/throat for anything out of the ordinary.

I administer liquid wormers in this manner using a syringe without a needle. You just have let go of the wattles as soon as you give the liquid so that she can swallow the liquid, or she can aspirate.

Another disease that causes a foul odor around the head area is Coryza, a respiratory disease. I didnt suspect Coryza in this instance because there wasnt any facial swelling or swelling around the eyes, and no other birds showing symptoms which is key. Coryza is highly contagious and again, I'd recommend culling sick birds.
Treatment for Coryza is a sulfa drug in combination with Baytril or Tylan.
I highly recommend that you feed her only layer feed and provide clean fresh water without all the other non-essential products. The same with the rest of your birds.

Ok I went out earlier and looked in her mouth/down her throat, and she doesn’t seem to have that. She’s doing the sneezing/honking sound still here and there. Can you get the Tylan at somewhere like tractor supply without having to take her to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom