Flushes for aiding in toxin removal

I feel like its worth mentioning that there is a little bit more that needs to be taken into account before giving your bird these flushes. Sometimes by the time you get your hand on a bird that has ingested something toxic, it may already be dehydrated, under no exception should you use any of these flushes until the bird has been properly been warmed and then rehydrated, and for the normal bird owner rehydration could be via a tube or subcutaneously. And after the flush, more fluid therapy may be required.

And unless the bird is drinking fluids, the flush should be administered into the crop via tube not drinking water.

Activated Charcoal has little effects on cases of heavy metal poisoning, mineral oil given tube would be a better substitute.

information for treatments read online should always be researched for yourself. It is always best to consult an avian vet when dealing with illness in geese. The information below is how WE dose and use the flushes here on our farm.

Flushes**

Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
1 ½ Cups water
¼ – ½ gram vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until a full recovery is made.

Molasses Flush:
1 cup Molasses
2 ½ gallons water
5 – 6 grams vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
! !Do not exceed 8 hours ! ! After 8 hours replace Molasses flush with vitamin and electrolyte water

Activated Charcoal Slurry
1 tsp. Activated Charcoal Powder
8 oz. – Pure Water
Dose 6 – 8 times daily

**These flushes will cause slight to moderate dehydration as they work to expel toxins and foreign matter from your birds system. After giving a flush, offer a steady supply of vitamin and electrolyte fortified water until a full recovery is made.

we prefer to use steamed oats (quacker like humans eat) and mashed egg when a bird is ill. Isolated into a dog kennel, covered to keep darker and quiet and keeping stress to a minimum.

Are the mashed eggs cooked or uncooked?

This is very helpful information. When I had a duck that came up ill, this is what saved her. I used the Epsom salt flush.
information for treatments read online should always be researched for yourself. It is always best to consult an avian vet when dealing with illness in geese. The information below is how WE dose and use the flushes here on our farm.

Flushes**

Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
1 ½ Cups water

Molasses Flush:
1 cup Molasses
2 ½ gallons water
! !Do not exceed 8 hours ! ! After 8 hours replace Molasses flush with vitamin and electrolyte water

8 oz. – Pure Water
Dose 6 – 8 times daily

**These flushes will cause slight to moderate dehydration as they work to expel toxins and foreign matter from your birds system. After giving a flush, offer a steady supply of vitamin and electrolyte fortified water until a full recovery is made.

we prefer to use steamed oats (quacker like humans eat) and mashed egg when a bird is ill. Isolated into a dog kennel, covered to keep darker and quiet and keeping stress to a minimum.

Flushes**

Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
1 ½ Cups water

Molasses Flush:
1 cup Molasses
2 ½ gallons water

8 oz. – Pure Water
Dose 6 – 8 times daily

How do you flush a chicken?

Thank you Celtic for the dosages I will book mark them in case[ and I sure hope not] I ever need them.
Do you know what vitamins to give afterwards? I am afraid she might be dehydrated now as she isn’t drinking. Not sure if I should force her to. Don’t want to stress her out more than necessary.

Take a dropper and just do drops at a time just inside her bill let her swallow and repeat. There are other flushes you can use just follow the directions

Poultry vitamins or liquid B Complex both at TSC or local feed store
Thank you. Wouldn’t let me respond earlier said I was a scammer…?

I have given her honey water and watermelon juice (from a watermelon, undiluted as it’s her favourite and hoping the natural sugars are good for her) I have done exactly the at, drop by drop on her tongue, let her swallow herself. I wiped her eyes with warm water on cotton pads as they had been shut so long they looked sealed shut, and were. She has watery eyes and can’t fully open or move them well. Thank you so much for your help. For some reason I cannot upload video.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 4
Take a dropper and just do drops at a time just inside her bill let her swallow and repeat. There are other flushes you can use just follow the directions
I am concerned about doing a flush at this point as it’s been over 12 hours. I am thinking rehydration is most important now? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom