fly control?

I use whatever vinegar I have. If I thought it would smell too strongly in the house, I would dilute it with water a little. I have used wine vinegar & malt vinegar.

Imp

Quote:
Thanks for your input my ACV is organic & I don't wish to waste it on flies! White vinegar I buy by the gallon so i'll be trying out this fly trap. Some have posted it didn't work but I am hopeful
fl.gif

Quote:
I heard that the chickens would eat the fly predators and it would be a waste of money. I was using them last year where I keep my horses but didn't see a huge difference.

I've been using them this year and so far they are working great. The past couple of years we have had clouds of flies, in our egg packing room, in our garage, at times in the house. In May, before the fly season started, I ordered fly predators from Spalding Labs. They send me a shipment every month throughout the summer to spread around. I don't necessarily put them where the chickens scratch. I put them in the area under the roosts (basically a manure pit) that is fenced off from the chickens, I spread them around the compost piles, I spread them in our garden that is heavily mulched with lawn clippings.

The flies breed in areas of damp manure or damp, rotting vegetation. I've been minimizing these areas and spreading fly predators and so far the results have been quite dramatic. I'm crossing my fingers that it holds out for the rest of the summer, as August is usually our worst month.

Somebody told me to place a few pennies in a ziplok baggie and put it near where you want to keep flies away. I guess you make a hole in the corner of the baggie, so some copper smell can get out, and hang the baggie with a string in the hole. She says it works really well- I haven't tried it, as I have a mosquito problem, not flies! and gnats:(

Quote:
I heard that the chickens would eat the fly predators and it would be a waste of money. I was using them last year where I keep my horses but didn't see a huge difference.

I've been using them this year and so far they are working great. The past couple of years we have had clouds of flies, in our egg packing room, in our garage, at times in the house. In May, before the fly season started, I ordered fly predators from Spalding Labs. They send me a shipment every month throughout the summer to spread around. I don't necessarily put them where the chickens scratch. I put them in the area under the roosts (basically a manure pit) that is fenced off from the chickens, I spread them around the compost piles, I spread them in our garden that is heavily mulched with lawn clippings.

The flies breed in areas of damp manure or damp, rotting vegetation. I've been minimizing these areas and spreading fly predators and so far the results have been quite dramatic. I'm crossing my fingers that it holds out for the rest of the summer, as August is usually our worst month.

Do you use DE? I am concerned that since I use DE in my coop, it will kill the fly predators.

I'm two weeks into using vanilla air fresheners. I'm cautiously optimistic as the fly problem has decreased alot. My house is 5x5 and I have 2 air fresheners hung in opposite corners near ventilation to spread the aroma. In addition to the vanilla, I continue to fluff the shavings and spread Sweet PDZ regularly.

Back
Top Bottom