Fly Control

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rosco, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    we've got breeder pens, small brooders and a grow-out pen. Fly traps have been put nearby to control flies. I've "poofed" DE every day to no avail. Flies are still a problem.
    These pens are mostly all raised at least a foot off the ground (brooders can be on ground or raised). the quail feces lies in open air. hot, aerated space.

i came across "the deep litter system" in Game Bird Propagation," by John Mullins. i understand the system was developed for barns and poultry houses. can something like this be done out of doors? i'm not asking for ideas on how to create anaerobiosis in open air, but something under a "deep litter". or just anything to avoid smelly fly traps.

2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

If no other pets around use Golden Maldrin. I sprinkle it on the po mound and tomorrow no more ( 98% ) flys. Only have to do it about 1 time every 5 days or when you see flys buzzen the po. Used to be yellow (Golden) but now it is blue kernals about the size of sea salt. My pen footprint is 6 foot x 16 foot, 3 1/2 ft off the ground. Approx 150 Bobs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:+1 Its poison thou, use it as such. I wouldnt give it to kids or dogs I liked... I use it just as quailmale says. Bill

4. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:+1 Its poison thou, use it as such. I wouldnt give it to kids or dogs I liked... I use it just as quailmale says. Bill

yeah, i can't use pesticides on this part of the property. one animal is very sensitive. i'd love to take a fogger and blast the area! but, pesiticides with chemicals aren't an option.

i found a thread where a BYC'er posted a simple fly trap in a peanut butter jar, but didn't bookmark it.

i put a call into the Seattle Tilth group. i'm hoping they can help me to device a "deep litter" for the area under the quail pens! this approach whole eliminate the fly food. w/o food, they'd not be here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by