Fly Control??

Quote:
Try to daily but the Brooder box every other day for 3 chicks. The coop 1 or 2 times per week the run as I am there everyday its easy and the grass area I wash down with water and keep up but its summer time and the flys are here as long as the sun is also.

Steve

So glad I saw this post thanks
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

I've heard folks talk about "Fly Predator" as well. I believe it kills the eggs before they hatch. Has anyone here used that? It's relatively inexpensive and I do find those bags to trap flies particularly disgusting, but they do work well. Just -
sickbyc.gif

I have 4 horses and 25 chickens. I use fly predators, DE and the fly bags. I have never had a fly problem. The only problem with the fly predators is if you free range at all the chickens will eat them if they find where you sprinkle them, thus limiting their affectiveness. I discovered this problem early this summer. As soon as a kept the girls locked up and got anew shipment of fly predators all was fine. I have used these combo for the last three years and it works great.

Well day 2 there are as many flies as before but there are hundreds caught in the bag!!!
ep.gif
AMAZING!!
thumbsup.gif
I moved them around and they are very productive as long as the bags are in the direct sun light and then there are swarms of fly's on the direct unit itself. Kudos to Rescue Fly Trap.
thumbsup.gif
I will say the bags themselves have a more pungent odor today compared to yesterday. I moved the run one to directly into the coop. It is high enough to be out of reach for my most curious girl, Blackie. She jump up to try and touch everything. What I do like is the fly's are fair game for Blackie and the hunting team, The FLY KILLERS. They stalk, sneak and pounce on em'. Funny bit for sure!!
gig.gif
lau.gif
ya.gif
Entertainment for sure.

Steve

This was incredible lesson.

Keep up on the poop patrol!!!
Keep birds in the area you do not want fly's.
Pick up all foods not eaten each day.
take the trash out of the run and dispose of it.
Water down the run more and it keeps the fly's population down.

102768_dscn1050.jpg

The depth of the flies was 2" at least, real discusting. This is a learning curve for sure but worth it
smile.png

Steve

Last edited:
You can hang the giant 1ft wide fly paper inside the coop within a wire cage[so the birds don't get stuck] it catches an insane amount.
If you use the fly bags and the like, they have ~attractants~, you don't want to use those in or near the coop/house.

Back
Top Bottom