*Fly Problem*

I got some DE 2 days ago from TSC and it worked VERY well. I would highly recommend it. A little goes a long way too. Also there were all kinds of fly traps in the horse section. :)

The Vanilla scented fresheners need changed about every 4 days, but make a good repellent for inside the coop area.

I'm telling you though, those bag or jug style traps will gross you out in about 2 days! If you're squeamish get the bag type. If you can handle the yuck in the reusable jugs, get them, it's cheaper. I dig a hole, dump the remains, bury it, clean the jug, and reset it with a little cat food and 3 bird poops. LOL Works like a charm without buying the bait that goes in it. Unless you dump it into zip lock bags, you don't want that mess in the garbage can, you'll never get the stink out without bleach. I really did bleach my garbage can last year.

The repellents won't kill them or deter them long. If they've laid eggs while they're there, you're looking at a fly explosion soon.

Last year the flies were laying eggs into the gravel of the duck run. Took me forever to find the source. They first blew in from the horse farms up the road. Once here, they reproduced. Those traps would be full in a matter of days. FULL.... as in thousands.

We survived it without poison and revamped the duck run to avoid it. The ducks went from scared to angry, would eat what they could.

Funny thing... they weren't on the chicken side at all, just the ducks. Only 10 ft apart. It's the dampness.

We now have a gravel base over landscape fabric, another layer of landscape fabric over the gravel, then pine shavings. The top layer of shavings are raked up every 2 days and fresh laid down. Effective so far and the flies have been around. The traps are seeing some action, and I can go out there in peace.

If you have a compost pile you need to make sure you're adding enough greens to make it hot. Otherwise they'll reproduce in that too after a good rain. Healthy compost is too hot for them to breed in.

I got some DE 2 days ago from TSC and it worked VERY well. I would highly recommend it. A little goes a long way too. Also there were all kinds of fly traps in the horse section. :)
Please define "a little goes a long way". An amount/sq.' would be nice. Thank you.
bow.gif

Please define "a little goes a long way". An amount/sq.' would be nice. Thank you.
bow.gif
okay let's see.. my pen is about 5x20 and I used about 3 or 4 cups worth around the outside and inside.
I haven't seen a fly in 3 days.

And yes, I got my measuring cup out to see how much I used.
big_smile.png

Diamotreus Earth (sp?) Apparently it's ground up ocean floor. You have to get the one marked "food grade". It's non-toxic, in fact several people I know sprinkle it in their chicken/duck feed. Keeps flies and other bad bugs away.

I'm impressed with it. Now, we just had 2 days of hard rain and I notice the flies are back, so I'm going to have to re apply.. but it's cheap and doesn't take very much either.

I'm impressed with it.

Diamotreus Earth (sp?) Apparently it's ground up ocean floor. You have to get the one marked "food grade". It's non-toxic, in fact several people I know sprinkle it in their chicken/duck feed. Keeps flies and other bad bugs away.

I'm impressed with it. Now, we just had 2 days of hard rain and I notice the flies are back, so I'm going to have to re apply.. but it's cheap and doesn't take very much either.

I'm impressed with it.
I thought that might be what you meant.
I actually have some food grade in my pantry!!
I take a tablespoon a day to help digestion!!
Going out to sprinkle some around and in my section 8 duck housing today!

Back
Top Bottom