1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fly repellant anyone?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by anndee, Jun 23, 2008.

1. anndee

anndee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    hello everyone -
    i posted this last week, but haven't heard a peep (ha ha), back from anyone?!
    does anyone know the best way to keep the fly population undercontrol besides often cleaning?
    i hear diatomaceous earth is good to put in with shavings? any comments, ideas?
    thanks so much,...

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I have used DE and it does work really well. My DH also put those really ugly fly strips in the corner to assist and we rarely catch any. The DE dries up the wet and keeps the smell to a minimum. It really does well.

3. anndee

anndee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    thanks for the reply - i called my local feed store here in north seattle, wa, and they had noooo idea where to get any natural or the kind thats OK around domestic animals.
    any idea who i can order that from online?

4. GreenieMama

GreenieMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Shingle Springs, CA
  5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    any other ideas DE isnt working too well for me.. we get a short rain every day here just enough to mess with my DE..[​IMG]

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not the expert here, but I hadn't had a fly problem at all until this spring/summer moisture. I think it will play out once the dry summer really hits.

The only other advice from me... is to rake it up a bit... or free range the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by