Flying/jumping at each other?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jencleg, May 27, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Every day I let my chicks out of the brooder into their run for a little while and they go CrAzY! They get along fine in the brooder, snuggling & loving on each other but as soon as they get some space they start running around chasing everbody and jumping thru the air at each other. What are they doing? It's kinda fun to watch but then I get a little uncomfortable like I should stop them! Is is just horseplay or determining the pecking order?

1 person likes this.
  2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    They're somewhere between 3 weeks and 6 weeks, right? Yup, they're establishing the pecking order. Mine do chest bumps, staring contest, and flying on top of each other's heads. Totally normal. Do you have a head hen yet?

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Entirely normal. [​IMG]

4. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:LOL! I dont know! They are silkies & I can only tell that my two reds are roos but the other 4 are still questionable! I have 1 white that tries to be big and act crazy too, but it is so much smaller than the rest that it just looks silly [​IMG] I really hope to be able to tell what I have soon...I have asked a few times about colors/gender traits but no such luck on getting answers [​IMG]

5. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Mine do this too (in the brooder still, almost 5wks old). The best part is that the bantams jump on the bigger guys and try to roost there. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Mine do this at 2 weeks - they have neck-stretching contests to see which one is taller.

1 person likes this.
  7. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    mine are all between 7-5 weeks old and they still do this we have 10 light brahma 4 Buff orps, 4 gold stars, 6 white leghorn there oldest by about a week, 2 SLW. the White leghorn seem to be the Queen now but will that stay like that with all the others being bigger at full grown???

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:TOTALLY NORMAL, Mine are 7-weeks. Betty, My RIR and Oddessy, my white leghorn are the top ones, But my Pekin ducks rule the roost. since after all, they are alot larger.

9. sharayray

sharayray New Egg

Aug 23, 2012
    my hens are 5 months old and are jumping eachother!

any ideas???
    alooot of ppl are saying

[​IMG] thanks!

10. Chukarbuds

Chukarbuds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado
    My chicks are 6 weeks. Doing the same thing. Its nice to know there are other chicken people here that we can share our stories while our chicks are the same age. Im not able to feed meal worms out of my hand any more. Chicks pull my skin up on my hand! LOL Other treats? No problem. Out of my three, the Barred Rock is starting to challenge my hand. She started pecking me so I pinch her back. Yesterday I pinched her back every time (total of 3 pecks) and today she's been a good girl. :) well see again later.. just to show her who's boss. Its awesome how they fly up to sit on me. One on each shoulder and 1 on my head. I was so scared she was gonna crap! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by