Flying Question

Dec 8, 2019
Valencia County, New Mexico
As some of you guys know, I got two new Afghan pigeons this weekend. I was told they are a mated pair, and I want to eventually home set them and fly them outside the loft. I sometimes get hawks, but they dont bother my chickens, and I have bantams. The thing I'm most worried about is them flying away or getting hit by a car. I live by a busy road. How do I fly them and how do I make it safe?

If you lose one bird, you lose a pair. don't fly those birds if you want to breed them. Fly their young ONLY. Once you have a solid flock of 8-10, you can fly the parents. You also say you want to show. what if you lose your best show bird flying? Hawks will get your pigeons, it may be the first time they are out, or years after flying them, but it is going to happen.

As some of you guys know, I got two new Afghan pigeons this weekend. I was told they are a mated pair, and I want to eventually home set them and fly them outside the loft. I sometimes get hawks, but they dont bother my chickens, and I have bantams. The thing I'm most worried about is them flying away or getting hit by a car. I live by a busy road. How do I fly them and how do I make it safe?

I wouldn't worry about them flying and getting hit by a car as much as the hawks. You may have no issues with hawks on your chickens, but if you get any migrations of Goshawks, pigeons and doves are they're #1 preferred menu item and they will relentlessly try to get them. I avoid flying my birds often from around October through March here in Michigan. Every few weeks I will offer an open loft door to my birds in the last hour or so of day light. The birds that really need to stretch out and fly a bit will take a short lap and come back. Hawk exposure at that time is reduced, under the presumption they've had a meal already... but the risk is always there.

Back
Top Bottom