Flying the coop

Auntiejessi3

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Oct 20, 2020
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Due to 1 of my ladies leading the rest into the woods me and my husband put up a run for when we can't be out to supervise. The trouble maker is now flying on to of the coop to escape, lol, the other 2 are too heavy to follow. I'd like to clip her wings, any videos y'all can share, any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20201212_152048.jpg
    20201212_152048.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 28
Due to 1 of my ladies leading the rest into the woods me and my husband put up a run for when we can't be out to supervise. The trouble maker is now flying on to of the coop to escape, lol, the other 2 are too heavy to follow. I'd like to clip her wings, any videos y'all can share, any help would be appreciated
If you spread the wings out like a fan, it is easier to see which feathers.
1607890263946.png

To clip her wings all you need to do is take a big pair of scissors and trim of a few inches of her flight feathers, making sure not to accidentally cut too close to her wing, as broken feathers can bleed.
Will bleeding feathers seriously hurt her or will they stop themselves?

I had the same problem with my pullets flying over my 6 foot fence when they came out of the coop.

To solve this, I added a 3 foot fence to the top of the existing fence. It was really easy to do ..... I had some 10 foot long, 2 inch steel conduit laying around, so I cut them to 3 feet, 4 inches. This way I got 3 pieces from a 10 footer.

The 2 inch pipe slid perfectly over the top of my T-Posts, and rested on top of the existing fence. PVC would also work, but make sure you measure the inside diameter to get the right size to fit tightly over your T=Posts.

Then I zip tied 3 foot plastic poultry fence directly to the extensions, and this virtually solved the problem !

I still need to go the rest of the way around, but this was the main problem area.

Good luck !

PC130136 (1024x576).jpg

PC130140 (1024x576).jpg

Back
Top Bottom