Flying up on the shoulder

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I've noticed a lot of people have trained their chickens to be able to do that. Is there anyway I can teach my chickens to fly up on my shoulders? Maybe putting some treats up on my shoulder, like bread? Not sure, so I'd like to see what other people think.
smile.png

I know that chickens compete for the highest roost. I want mine to know that I am the 'alpha' so I don't want them on my shoulder (or head for that matter-one of my 4 wk olds tried that yesterday). I prefer them on my lap so I can pet them and have control. On the shoulder, you can't really pet them, and, you can't see where the poop goes!

I am new to raising chickens but I wanted mine (I have 8 7-week olds) to be on the tamer side so I have handled each one almost every day, even if just for a minute. We have had a LOT of rain and our run is still having its finishing touches put on it. This is what happened to me the other night when I went to visit them - (I hope this picture works)

54828_img_3931.jpg

I figured they were telling me "we need some roosts because our feet our cold and wet". The one that flies onto my shoulder and head the most is also the one that is quite happy to sit and be petted for a long time (a buff Orpington). So far I have enjoyed their attentions but I guess as they get heavier it might not be so much fun.

I did not have to teach my chickens to sit on me. My EE's are all over me in the evening when I sit in the chair before I open the coop door to let them in for the night. I have had as many as 6 sitting on me. I don't let them on my head (they would) I had to clip their wings as they were flying up ON me just standing there too (they were also flying over the fence).

I handled my first batch of BR, BO, SLW, RIR way more than my second batch of EE's, polish and one cochin roo and my EE's are by far the friendliest.

Just wait until one of them jumps on you after stepping in a nice fresh, wet, smelly pile of cecal poop and grinds it into your shirt. Then you find out how much you really want them siting on your shoulder.

My husband had two of his that used to ride around on him all the time until one of the bantam roos got mad and spurred him in the head. He also has a nice scar beside his eye where one pecked something on his face, probably a freckle and sliced him good. No more birds riding on heads or shoulders.

my daughter went in the run while eating toast. I have been feeding then toast crumbs as treats and they saw it and right away one flew up on her shoulder and took a bite as she took a bite. Startled her to say the least. I tried to duplicate it. Held the toast up by my shoulder and she flew up there again. I also sit in a chair and they jump up on my lap to get the toast. I will have 4 or 5 hens on my lap at a time. They are such fun.

Back
Top Bottom