Flypaper caught escaped chick

Poor chickie.
hugs.gif
You can try getting the sticky off with peanut butter, then getting the p-nut butter off with Dawn dish soap. Good luck!

that story is hilarious... ohmigosh... you know, when they are in the 'flippy flyer' stage anything can happen.

On the packaging for my fly tape, it reads "clean up excess glue with peanut butter". I would try that! If not, give her a trim! One of my chickens lost all his tail feathers to that stuff.

Over the years, I've not only gotten my OWN HAIR stuck in fly paper a bazillion times (you'd think I'd learn), but years ago, I had a baby cockatiel that took its first flight, smack dab into a strip. And of course, he thrashed around and got tangled up in it within the 1/2 second it took me to run and grab him... He became "Sticky Bird" and was with me for 13 years.

With my hair, I just wash it several times, and have had to trim out the little bit that was left a few times. With Sticky, nothing helped - he got less sticky with time, but he looked like hell til he molted.

I think I would try washing the little one, maybe with Dawn dish washing liquid (its used for wildlife caught in oil spills), and maybe keep it separate for a few days.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sure and it's not true about the fish oil. Here's a good bit of information that should make it clear that it shouldn't be used on critters, especially birds as they are very sensitive:

From Wikipedia:
WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.

when my cats or cockatiels get caught in them
roll.png
i use all pupose flour u use to cook with to unstick them. put it all over the fly strip it dries the sticky parts not attached then slowly peel off from fur or feathers as u peel it add more flour to animal sticky part and the exposed fly strip sticky so it can't restick. it unsticks them fast and the flour helps keep the feathers and fur from being so sticky afterwards so aditional stuff doesn't stick also. i just let them clean it off since they preen themselves and the flour just falls off from normal movement of the animals and them cleaning themselves. haha i couldn't imagine trying to wash my cats they'd claw me to death they hate water and with the tiels it just got stickier.

peanut butter would probably work due to the oil in it. i have 5 kid's who used to be sticker happy,lol. best thing to use for stickers is put butter on it once the sticker gets oily the sticky comes right off, cooking oil or mineral oil should work too and should be safe so anything natural oil should help too i agree but flour is alot less messier. i agree with the toxic comments NO wd-40 or nail polish remover.

hope that helps,
silkie

Back
Top Bottom