Flystrike and how to treat it?

Klcourington

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Can someone tell me if this is flystrike on my hens chest? I've had chickens my whole life and never dealt with flystrike before. If it is flystrike, how do I treat it?

Attachments

• 20201005_172136.jpg
    20201005_172136.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201005_172146.jpg
    20201005_172146.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 30
@Klcourington sorry I can't be of more help to you. I hope your chicken recovers. Best of luck. Maybe one of the more experienced members I tagged will be able to help you out. I have dealt with fly strike in rabbits but never poultry.:fl :hugs

Ps: welcome to Backyard chickens! :welcome

@Klcourington sorry I can't be of more help to you. I hope your chicken recovers. Best of luck. Maybe one of the more experienced members I tagged will be able to help you out. I have dealt with fly strike in rabbits but never poultry.:fl :hugs

Ps: welcome to Backyard chickens! :welcome
Thank you so much! I appreciate any guidance I can get. It has been a while since I owned chickens so I'd say I'm still a little rusty on my knowledge. I haven't seen any maggots in this wound at all and it doesn't appear to go super deep but it does resemble all the photos I've seen of flystrike. Although all the photos I've seen are on the hind end rather than the chest.

Do you see any worms or maggots in the wound? Flystrike is when maggot larvae hatches out in a wound or sometimes on a poopy vent. Do you know if she is wounded or has an injury or possibly a breast blister? I would clean the wound with a disinfectant, such as Betadine or chlorhexidene. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can then be applied.

Thank you so much! I appreciate any guidance I can get. It has been a while since I owned chickens so I'd say I'm still a little rusty on my knowledge. I haven't seen any maggots in this wound at all and it doesn't appear to go super deep but it does resemble all the photos I've seen of flystrike. Although all the photos I've seen are on the hind end rather than the chest.
No problem! Well wishes. :)

Can someone tell me if this is flystrike on my hens chest?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen appears to be injured.. can you see maggots crawling on it? It's hard for to make anything out.

Consider cleaning it up and looking deeper..maybe an Epsom salt soak..
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Believe it or not they're growing maggots in the laboratory to help eat necrotic tissue and actually HEAL wounds.. when done correctly! :sick

Hope it's not serious! :fl

Do you see any worms or maggots in the wound? Flystrike is when maggot larvae hatches out in a wound or sometimes on a poopy vent. Do you know if she is wounded or has an injury or possibly a breast blister? I would clean the wound with a disinfectant, such as Betadine or chlorhexidene. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can then be applied.
Fortunately I didn't see anything in the wound other than what I'm seeing in this photo. I do plan to get a better look tomorrow when I try cleaning it with vetericyn. She still seems to be eating and drinking fine but flies have been awful this year for us which makes me think it could be maggots under the scab or something. 😩

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen appears to be injured.. can you see maggots crawling on it? It's hard for to make anything out.

Consider cleaning it up and looking deeper..maybe an Epsom salt soak..
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Believe it or not they're growing maggots in the laboratory to help eat necrotic tissue and actually HEAL wounds.. when done correctly! :sick

Hope it's not serious! :fl
I didn't see any maggots but I do plan to get a better look tomorrow when I clean it with vetericyn and will update everyone then. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Back
Top Bottom