FLYSTRIKE!! I need info *GRAPHIC PHOTO

So I have an update. I've spent all morning bathing and picking him of these maggots but theres so many that I cant get to..see photos. Theres little pockets and there really in there. When I start picking at them they go in further. I'm not sure how to get them out..is there anything to kill these things on contact?? If not I'm not sure what else to do but cull him. I dont think I can get them all out of him. Water does not kill these things. I was picking them out and putting them in a bucket of water just to have them crawl up the sides of the buckets trying to get out. So right now I tried spraying them out..they started crawling all over his body so I soaked him in a bucket of warm salt water and tried scrubbing his body. I will say I did get alot off but theres still alot in there. And for the time being I put some blukote on it till I figure out what to do next..I appreciate everyones information. I've been working on this boy all morning. My husband wants me to cull tho. I'll attach pictures. Let me know what ya think. the pockets of maggots are right next to my thumb. Oh and his poop isnt good today..its basically all liquid and a light green color. He definitely still has some spunk in him as he got out of my hands a couple times and jumped right out of the bin

Attachments

• 20200527_121559.jpg
    20200527_121559.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 56
I personally haven't used that. What do you think @Eggcessive ?

Unfortunately taking care of Myiasis isn't a "one and done" treatment. It takes multiple soaks and multiple tweezing sessions. If you don't want to be bothered with it, cull him. Otherwise, I see a perfectly salvageable bird.
I also see a perfectly salvageable bird so I'm going to do what I have to to fix him. My husband on the other hand would rather cull than have him suffer but hes also the one not dealing with it. So I guess I consider that my call. I'm gonna try my best in the next couple days to see if I can get these maggots out but I'm really leaning towards going to get a bottle of that screw worm spray unless someone has bad experiences with it? I've been calling around to vets..even my farm vet and no one deals with birds so they wont even give me any pointers on what I should be doing. My concern is with the deep maggots and theres some really tiny ones that theres no way I can pull out. I was hoping that spray would kill them

It sounds pretty serious, but I would try. Yes the screw worm spray can be used. Have you tried bathing in soapy water or Epsom salts? That should kill them. In bad cases, I have read where the larvae will hatch over 24 hours. It may take repeated soaks until then. He may already have some inside him, which makes it more dangerous. As long as he has life in him, it would be worth trying to save him over the next day or two. He may need an antibiotic at some point.

It sounds pretty serious, but I would try. Yes the screw worm spray can be used. Have you tried bathing in soapy water or Epsom salts? That should kill them. In bad cases, I have read where the larvae will hatch over 24 hours. It may take repeated soaks until then. He may already have some inside him, which makes it more dangerous. As long as he has life in him, it would be worth trying to save him over the next day or two. He may need an antibiotic at some point.
I did bathe him in soapy water but that didnt seem to do much..maybe I needed more soap. I'll try that next time. I'm on my way to pick up the screw worm spray now. Do I bathe the blukote off him before I put the spray on? And where do I go from here..bathe him atleast twice a day then apply the screw worm spray afterwards each time? I'll continue picking off as many as I can. If I dont see improvement in the next day or two I'll probably definitely have to cull. I'm also worried there too far inside him. But I guess will have to see

And what antibiotic do you recommend? Alls I have on hand is tylan which I dont think will have any effect if theres infection? Right?

Back
Top Bottom