Foam board insulation question

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I have 4x4x4 OSB coop.
What how thick foam board should I use? I plan to put a thin sheath over to finish off walls.
Will use tarp on top, and roof when I can get some help.
I'm keeping pullets with light bulb for addt'l heat if needed.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Can I cut foam board with a jigsaw?

If I remember right foam is roughly 1/4" = roughly 1" of batt type glass insulation. Foam I've worked with can come from 1/4" to over 2-3 "s. I used a regular utility knife a kitchen knife,hand saw and circular saw. No matter what you use all the little particles cling to you like metal to a magnet Knives make less particles and aren't as bulky to work with as a jig saw. If you use it inside the coop you'll want to cover it, the birds will peck at it.

Last edited:
DH used 2x4s for framing with the foam board insulation between so if you were going to do that you could use the size that would fit best. I think the 2 inch side of a 2x4 is what 1.75 inches or so?

Whatever amount you feel like buying and installing... there is no magic number. More is better than less; less is better than nothing. Your call.

You can cut it with a jigsaw but it makes an awful mess. A utility knife (cut half or 3/4-way thru along a straight line, then snap board over a 2x4 on that line, as if you were cutting glass) works as well or better and makes the same mess with less work <g>. The only mess-free way I know of to cut foamboard is with one of them nifty "hot wire" or "hot knife" cutters designed especially for foam... but it is not worth buying one if this is all you want to use it for! Just be prepared for some mess, is all. (Cutting holes or L-shaped cuts or curves is significantly trickier than just lopping part of the foamboard off in a straight line, btw -- I would recommend avoiding having to do holes/L's/curves if at all possible)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

What ever you do make sure the chickens can't get at it, they love foam and will pick it clean.

I used 1 inch thick styrofoam to insulate the walls of my coops. It works fine. Then like you said, put a thin sheath of sometype of board over it to keep chickens from pecking it.

Back
Top Bottom