Foam in one eye - only one bird

In case anyone is still following, after 5 days of the neosporin 1-2x a day, her eye is looking better! Fluff is regrowing, I am hopeful this did the trick, thank you!

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Just noticed it yesterday: my hen has foam in one eye only. She was just released from isolation due to bullying so I wonder if one of the other hens pecked her in the eye. She was isolated for only 3 days...

She does not have any of the other symptoms mentioned and still has a healthy appetite and energy level. And it looks like she is just starting to molt.

Am going to feed store today to see about possible antibiotics.

(sorry - blurry photo)

I'm having the same problem. Just noticed it yesterday: my hen has foam in one eye only. She was just released from isolation due to bullying so I wonder if one of the other hens pecked her in the eye. She was isolated for only 3 days...

She does not have any of the other symptoms mentioned and still has a healthy appetite and energy level. And it looks like she is just starting to molt.

Am going to feed store today to see about possible antibiotics.

(sorry - blurry photo)

Welcome to BYC. Foam in an eye certainly can be from a peck wound, infection, or a respiratory infection. The important thing is to clean out any eye draiange, foam, or pus that is present. Vetericyn eye wash, eye gel, or Terramycin Eye Ointment are some of the good things to treat eyes.

I too have a white Auracana hen that I brought in from another farm. She had a foamy eye then and it went away. I noticed a couple days ago it was foamy again. The next day, after researching this I found her as in the picture posted. Her eye is foamy and now swollen in the front of it. Help!! She shows no other sign or symptoms of illness.

I too have a white Auracana hen that I brought in from another farm. She had a foamy eye then and it went away. I noticed a couple days ago it was foamy again. The next day, after researching this I found her as in the picture posted. Her eye is foamy and now swollen in the front of it. Help!! She shows no other sign or symptoms of illness.
Does she have a bad odor from her head? It looks like it could possibly be mycoplasma ( MG) or coryza which are respiratory diseases that can cause conjunctivitis and sinus infection. Testing would help you to know which one to treat for, but those can make the chickens lifelong carriers. MG can respond to Tylan and tetracycline drugs, while coryza can be treated with Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine. Some people cull birds with those symptoms, but at least keep her separated.

No odor at all. No odd behavior, she's been with the same chickens for months now with and without symptoms. I don't know how separating her will make any difference. Especially if she's probably a lifelong carrier. ? Call me ignorant to the fowl population I guess.

Okay, I just re-read your post, and realized that the chicken pictured is not the one you are talking about. Do you have any pictures of your hen? How does the lump on her face feel? Is it soft or firm? Do you see any pus or white/yellow material inside the eye or up in the roof of her mouth? If she is not having any other symptoms (sneezing, rattly breathing, or gasping,) it may possibly be a tumor instead of a sinus infection or coryza. Here is a good read about the common chicken diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Okay, I just re-read your post, and realized that the chicken pictured is not the one you are talking about. Do you have any pictures of your hen? How does the lump on her face feel? Is it soft or firm? Do you see any pus or white/yellow material inside the eye or up in the roof of her mouth? If she is not having any other symptoms (sneezing, rattly breathing, or gasping,) it may possibly be a tumor instead of a sinus infection or coryza. Here is a good read about the common chicken diseases and symptoms:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Yes the "orange" chicken is mine-she white but the lighting makes her look orange. I'll read more and let you know Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom