1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have a little dutch hen that is about 8 years old. have a flock of 30+ chickens, no new in or out in the last 9 months. It has been fairly cold here in NH, but seasonally so....between 20 and 30 degrees for a week or so.
    I went out tonight to feed and water, and she was on her roost and had 2 foamy eyes. clear foam, it actually looked like someone spit on both eyes (ew, I know!). I wiped if off with a tissue and a gloved hand, listend to her and she sounds fine. she ate and drank, and hoped back on her roost.
    Is this something someone has seen before? no one else seems sick or wheezy/listless......is this just a freak thing? never saw it before, I feel alarmed. If it happens tomorrow, I will get a pic. any ideas would be great....

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I just went thru this same thing. I isolated my hen inside in an aquarium I normally use for a brooder and put a screen on the top. Give her Tetracyclene. 3/4 teaspoon per quart of water. Change it every 24 hours and keep food in with her. And keep her dry. If you have a humidifier put it in the room she is in. I don't have one but if I did I certaily would have used it. Mine was wheezing and coughing. Sounded as if she had phneumomia. After a week indoors getting pampered and cleaned up after she is back outside scratching around with the others.

It will spread soyou want to get her away from the others ASAP. Giving the others some antibiotics could kick what ever they may come down with too.

You can't eat the eggs either

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    thanks. yours had the foamy eyes too? I will start treating immediatly, and the whole flock. she is in her own pen, but not "isolated" from the rest of the flock. guess we will have a house chicken for a while......hubby will be thrilled. [​IMG]

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I actually ended up with 2. There where a couple more that appeared to be feeling bad and I heard a few sneezes but wasn't sure who it came from. My coop is divided and has LF in one side and oegb's and ducks in the other and both sides where showing sickness. Runny noses, watery eyes and sneezing. So I'm keeping their water buckets with the antibiotics to clear that up but the 2 that came inside had the bubbly eyes. One was worse than the other. She is the one that stayed a week inside. The other was 3 or 4 days. The one had a coughing and sneezing spell one night and was having trouble breething and I was afraid I was loosing her. If I had a humidifier it would have helped. But when she was thru with her little spell there was snot running down the walls of the aquarium she was in. It was so gross. I of course took her out and cleaned it up. Gave her fresh bedding and feed and water dishes. Redid her antibiotics as everything was a gross mess. Even the screen on top of her pen.

I also used bleach water and sprayed the entire aquarium and screen to stop the spread of whatever it was she had. She was in the room I have incubators and chicks in. I had to keep it contained to her space across the room. So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by